• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wax on Wax off

longarm25

any one have any unusual training methods that you use (or have been

Subected to?

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i was asked by a (former) boss to bang nails into floorboards for 6 hours a day, for almost two weeks........seiza was never as uncomfortable after that.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Subected to?

I don't know if it's unusual or not, but I haven't seen anybody else doing it. Occassionally, I will have my students lay down on the floor on their backs lying side to side, but alternating which end their heads are facing. They interlink their arms so that their stomaches are all nicely lined up. :brow:

Then I will have the lightest student walk along their stomachs one at a time, pausing on each person in turn as the student that is getting stood on recites the alphabet. They are required to breathe during this...inhale and exhale. Then, I will get a heavier students and do the same thing.

Object of the exercise is tightening your stomach while still being able to breathe. It's an old technique that my high school choir teacher, Miss B, did now and then. She also would hit you HARD in the stomach multiple times while singing...but I've heard some of my students sing before, so I don't do that. :roll:

We also do what are called (hope this is spelled correctly) kotoate drills. Basically, body toughing. We kick as hard as the person can take (I won't bore you with exact procedures and precautions) to the outside/inside of the thigh, forearms, shoulder blades and lower ribs (watching out for the kidneys/spine). I tell my students that you are doing your partner no favors by being to gentle on them, and the person being kicked is told to tell the other person whther it is hard enough and they can take more...or "that's just a wee bit to much". :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Subected to?

I don't know if it's unusual or not, but I haven't seen anybody else doing it. Occassionally, I will have my students lay down on the floor on their backs lying side to side, but alternating which end their heads are facing. They interlink their arms so that their stomaches are all nicely lined up. :brow:

Then I will have the lightest student walk along their stomachs one at a time, pausing on each person in turn as the student that is getting stood on recites the alphabet. They are required to breathe during this...inhale and exhale. Then, I will get a heavier students and do the same thing.

Object of the exercise is tightening your stomach while still being able to breathe. It's an old technique that my high school choir teacher, Miss B, did now and then. She also would hit you HARD in the stomach multiple times while singing...but I've heard some of my students sing before, so I don't do that. :roll:

We also do what are called (hope this is spelled correctly) kotoate drills. Basically, body toughing. We kick as hard as the person can take (I won't bore you with exact procedures and precautions) to the outside/inside of the thigh, forearms, shoulder blades and lower ribs (watching out for the kidneys/spine). I tell my students that you are doing your partner no favors by being to gentle on them, and the person being kicked is told to tell the other person whther it is hard enough and they can take more...or "that's just a wee bit to much". :D

I would like to be in your dojo lol :karate:

I would like to be in your dojo lol :karate:

Oh...we have fun I think. :D

One other one that I forgot was where one student will stand in a strong horse stance, hands behind his back, and another student will be to his/her side and roundhouse kick....again as hard as the person can take...to the stomach. No "flinching" llowed. Again, they need to be breathing during this. It's a good exercies to get used to being hit in the stomach. I can take a pretty good shot to the stomach and not be hurt.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Forget the dojo, I want to be in that full contact Choir class with Miss B. :) No wonder you took up Martial Arts SS. You had to defend yourself against Miss B.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Ah, the ancient 3,000 year old tradition of Martial Arts Choir Practice. A very formidable art indeed.

Both my Kobayashi and Matsumura Shorin Ryu teachers were pretty big into the kotekite.

Probably the strangest looking thing I do is the traditional Okinawan Hojo Undou (with the pots, stone locks, and all of that).

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

The ones SS mentioned we also do sometimes. One drill we also do every now and then is the following;

Stand in front of each other and make the same techniques, for example gedan barai. If you start with left the other one does too. Hit each other with the outside of the lower arm. Start carefully and build it up slowly. After a few rounds you are pretty sore! You can do this with many other defense techniques.

René

Shorinryu Sensei, the hitting drill we also do, specialy every time we have a new student and many of them won't come back after getting a purple arm and thigh the next day, that Naihanchi dachi drill we do it in Sanchin dachi while steping back. very good drills, I gotta visit your dojo.

this sounds like a drill thats done at every Kyokushin dojo ive ever been to, with the exception of reciting the alphabet, where we mainly do Ibuki or Kiai.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."