• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Side kick improvement

RockSOLLIDD

I am now a yellow belt in shotokan, but I still have issues with side kick flexibility and endurance. that is, i cant do high side kicks, and even when i perform this technique, i can't keep foot in air at constant height. Every time i try to stretch the muscles (hips) i get major pain and have to miss my karate classes, not to mention my flexibility making no progress. what is the absolute best way to improve height/power/form of my side kicks?

Keep it intense!!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Roak , I had the same problem for about the first three years of training. Granted I began at 41. I have found that a simple rope amd pully works grate. Hang the pulley from the celling put the put the rope through it and stretch. Hope this helps you

Rock,

I don't know if your club does this kind of stretch, I've seen it used in some clubs and not in others. I've heard it referred to as stretch foot kicking, and a couple of other names.

Get yourself a chair that is a comfortable hight for you to stand behind and use as support. I use one of my kitchen chairs. Stand behind the chair, with your left side facing the chair, gripping it with your left hand. Keeping your leg locked, swing your right leg up in front of you as high as you can. At the top of the stretch, your leg should be in the form of a front kick. Now, without breaking the rythm and still keeping your knee straight, swing your leg behind you, rotating your hips slightly so that at the top of this stretch it is in the form of a side kick. From there, go back to the front, then back, etc... each time try to get a little higher on the stretch, while still holding good form. I like to do this for about five minutes on each leg every morning. This excercise will help stretch the muscle in a safe and controled way, and will also help teach your body how it feels when your kick is fully extended.

I first learned this in the TKD style that I have my 1st dan in, but I have also used it in a couple of the Karate schools that I've visited. You may want to check with your instructor to make sure the form on the side kick should be as I've described. In TKD Chung DO Kwan, we turn our hips over, when we throw a side kick, but I know there are some variations with different styles.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Sorry, it posted twice.

Edited by foreveryoung001

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Don't try to rush kicking very high, just concentrate on kicking *properly* for now.

If you're concerned about gradings, tournies, etc then kicking properly is better as the judges will all know that you're beginning and height just isn't an issue for you right now.

Height will come in time, and if you're concerned about the pain, then perhaps you're over stretching your leg or putting too much into the kick. Don't look at the darker-coloured belts and expect to perform at their level--they've had years of practice. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

First, don't get in a big hurry it does take a lot of time. Next, you need to get a copy of Thomas Kurz's book Stretching Scientifically. His book is the know-all tell-all of getting flexible. Now as for kicking higher I started doing a way of kicking that has really helped me get my kicks higher. I get a balance bar or chair or table and then I start bending and trying to kick higher the balance bar will help you create muscle memory and this will over time help you kick harder. Also, in Kurz's book he has you do dynamic stretches i.e. leg lifts, this will give you a "moving" type of flexability and will aid in kicking higher.

I have only one question, do you have coxa vera or some other type of hip disorder, if so it will limit how high you will be able to kick?

Practise, practise, practise. :D

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

Don't try to rush kicking very high, just concentrate on kicking *properly* for now.

If you're concerned about gradings, tournies, etc then kicking properly is better as the judges will all know that you're beginning and height just isn't an issue for you right now.

Height will come in time, and if you're concerned about the pain, then perhaps you're over stretching your leg or putting too much into the kick. Don't look at the darker-coloured belts and expect to perform at their level--they've had years of practice. :)

TOTALLY AGREE.

But it also looks like u might need to put a little extra flexibility training. Look on the Internet for details of PNF stretching!