• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

stances in karate

RockSOLLIDD

It has come to my attention recently that my stance is flawed, at least I think...

I practice shotokan and I need some clearance on zen kutsu dachi.

Does the front foot remain turned straight ahead, or slightly turned to the inside? one of my senseis says the foot should be turned, but I was looking at a book with mas oyama, and his front foot pointed straight ahead! a little help would be appreciated.

This is simple. Do what your instructor tells you to do. Easy as that.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To put it simply, both are correct. We teach both ways in our school and there are pros and cons to both. Best thing is to speak to your instructor about the difference and they should be able to go through it with you.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Good advice. Ill add that as you train more and more, your body will adjust to your life style. Saying that, while it is good to really focus on what you're doing, let some things come natural to you. Chances are I think people have a better understanding if they conjure up ideas on thier own, then your instructor may hopefully guide them.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

To put it simply, both are correct. We teach both ways in our school and there are pros and cons to both. Best thing is to speak to your instructor about the difference and they should be able to go through it with you.

Can you identify the pro's for not turning the foot in by 2 or 3 degrees?

I would like to hear your take on this.:)

Cheers...

Can you identify the pro's for not turning the foot in by 2 or 3 degrees?

I would like to hear your take on this.:)

Cheers...

I would too. :wink:

Almost every place I train it is done with the front foot pointing a little in. I mean the outside of the foot is straight and the toes point a little in.

I think the bigger differences I've seen have been with the angle of the BACK foot. Some people say 45 degrees and other people say as straight ahead as you can do it.

Putting the toes in a couple of degrees allow you to grip the floor and also apply proper outside tension on the knees for that coil and spring starting action you need as well as a firm, but mobile stance.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Putting the toes in a couple of degrees allow you to grip the floor and also apply proper outside tension on the knees for that coil and spring starting action you need as well as a firm, but mobile stance.

- Killer -

I've heard this 'grip the floor' thing before but never heard a good explanation of WHY you'd want to do that. What's the point?