• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MY dojo a mcdojo or am i paranoid?

ncole_91

I just said "dangerous" because some schools are run by professionals. They may not necessarily be teaching you martial arts that you can use to defend yourself on the street, but it will be done in a professional manner. This tricks people into thinking they are highly competent on the street, when they may not be. Thus the element of danger. I haven't been to those schools so I don't know for sure 100%, but the most successful McDojos are the ones that are clean, well-organized and well-presented. They get you in shape and have a respectable philosophy on life (discipline, mutual respect, healthy values, etc.). It is more difficult for the uncritical eye to distinguish between those and practical schools. Anyone can identify the immediately ridiculous. You have to have some experience in order to identify that which only "seems good".

And using a different approach to this, some of these can be very dangerous to your wallet. :)

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just said "dangerous" because some schools are run by professionals. They may not necessarily be teaching you martial arts that you can use to defend yourself on the street, but it will be done in a professional manner. This tricks people into thinking they are highly competent on the street, when they may not be. Thus the element of danger.'

I know of serveral cases that this ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

I haven't been to those schools so I don't know for sure 100%, but the most successful McDojos are the ones that are clean, well-organized and well-presented.

What do you mean, if you hadn't been to them give a description of them?

Nor was I implying that. But there is a distinct difference between schools training specifically for tournaments, schools training specifically to steal your money, and schools training specifically to help you in a self-defense situation. All I'm saying is that sometimes schools will inflate the student's perception of being able to handle themselves in a defense situation, should that ever occur.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Nor was I implying that. But there is a distinct difference between schools training specifically for tournamentsOk, a little sport is good. Competiton can be a goal to reach. Like overcoming certain fears.

...schools training specifically to steal your money,

I can one ascertain that a schools is out to "steal" money?

.....and schools training specifically to help you in a self-defense situation.

Again, how can one realise that such a school teaching self defense is actually teaching concise slef-defense?

All I'm saying is that sometimes schools will inflate the student's perception of being able to handle themselves in a defense situation, should that ever occur.

I know a McDojo where the instructor does not teach concise self defense. He had even admitted to me that his "self defense teaching skills" are not on par in comparison to mine. (He came to a couple of my self defense seminars.) He believes and that his students realise, there is more in martial art practcing than fighting/defense. He teaches them the "art" of it. On occasion, he had sent students or people to learn self defense from me.

Well, is a mcdojo better than nothing?

Can't a student, who is truly committed to learning, gain knowledge and a certain amount of succesful training, even from a McDojo?

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.