• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Choy Lee Fut works well in long range but I THINK it lacks the close range advantage like Baji Quan, but what's Hung Gar like, it is a close range or a long range fighting style or is it good in all range because it has all the different kinds of animal forms?

I know hung gar is a southern style. and it has a very deep horse stance(much simulere to my system). Thats about it.

I have some questions. Does it have many fansy high kicks, and acrobatic kicks like say, butterfly, tornado and simulere? Does it have drunken forms and monkey forms? They have broadsword and straitsword but what else?

Theres a wushu version of hung gar a long way from where I live, and I would like to know if its worth it(since theres noone here who has heard of my style(long quan pai), and you say it is one of the most respected styles).

You're right on with the horse stance. In a 2 hour class, roughly 70% - 80% is in your horse. That's not every class, but it happens a lot more often than not where I practice.

As for kicks - the only time I've used a kick in class (not that I've been taking it that long) was in a "pattern" type form. Ie: fake, punch, punch, punch, DIRECT kick (no fancy stuff) and step, then finish with whatever. At my club we don't focus on kicks hardly at all, we take more of a Jiu-Jitsu approach - keeping it close and executing attacks with a tiger type style, open palming, punching, kneeing or whatever else we can do that generates the most power from the hips. That's why the powerful legs/stances are important.

As for Wushu..I've only seen it in action at a Kung Fu tornament. I'm not knocking any martial arts or different styles, each have their pros and cons, but I find other Kung Fu styles tend to focus more on forms and patterns as opposed to the more direct approach. Our club is the only local that practices Hung Gar, and we have gotten kicked out of the tornament every year for being "too rough". An example is as follows, which I have seen only (I'm not stating this will be the case everytime, nor am I knocking styles etc.) Wushu vs. Hung Gar (our club). The Wushu fighter was more "stylish", attempting to throw fancy kicks and wide arm blocks/"technical" punches..which failed. Everytime our club would capitalize on the weakness (the center or "core") and destroy them with a series of knees and punches.

The way I view it, we got kicked out of the tornament (more than once) because our art is too efficent. :P

And yes, that's a biased opinion.

Close Quarters Combat Tactics - Hope to see you there!

Yeah I could understand what you mean. Some of the Chinese style are very effective but they are usually never as graceful as Wushu or other style. At least Hung Gar still has a Wushu form but Baji Quan has none. Very few people nowdays are interested in Baji Quan because it lacks the graceful movements of many other styles and of it's move seems really stupid to others ( like the raising elbow strike where you strike your left elbow at your opponent while in a horse stand and extend your right hand on the other end ).

Noob. Do you know(or could you ask your sifu) if your style has a drunken form? My style has two, but thats just so the students will know what to do if they fight a drunkenboxer.

I asked the same question in the Combative Martial Arts topic, but this is the right place so.

Is WuShu effective in real selfdeffence situations, and in vs matchs against other systems?

I would like everyones(everyone whov seen it or know something about it) oppinion.

Noob. Do you know(or could you ask your sifu) if your style has a drunken form? My style has two, but thats just so the students will know what to do if they fight a drunkenboxer.

I asked the same question in the Combative Martial Arts topic, but this is the right place so.

Is WuShu effective in real selfdeffence situations, and in vs matchs against other systems?

I would like everyones(everyone whov seen it or know something about it) oppinion.

I'll definately be sure to ask him, as I am curious aswell. I'm pretty sure we'd only practice techniques etc. just to know what to expect..our Sifu tends to compare our style to TKD, Karate, Jiu-Jitsu and various other martial arts aswell, so I figure it's just a matter of time before we get into a drunken boxing scenario. It's really cool though, you can get a small glimpse at different styles and generally know what to expect if you're ever faced with something like that (yeah, I know situations vary). And yes, our Sifus (3) have training in those arts themselves, so I'm sure they know what they're talking about.

I'll ask in class this week.

Close Quarters Combat Tactics - Hope to see you there!

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah Choy Lee Fut works well in long range but I THINK it lacks the close range advantage like Baji Quan, but what's Hung Gar like, it is a close range or a long range fighting style or is it good in all range because it has all the different kinds of animal forms?

Choy Lay Fut is good in all ranges. its a complete style like Baji Quan and Hung gar. Most people think we're all long range cause they see alot of the sweeping punches in many of our forms (etg. Sau Choi, Biu Jong, and Gwa Choi, [and my personal favorate combo Gwa Sau]) But we learn things like knees and elbows just like most traditional schools do, which makes CLF HG and BQ so badass. the reason we learn these close range techniques is because all fights usually end up in the clinch and then on the ground. You can't have a practical style without close range techniques. I was wondering though, doesn't hung gar have similar sweeping punches because i've seen some hung gar techniques and theyre very similar to choy lay fut

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Thanks for the info CLFDisciple.

Actually Baji Quan isn't really a "complete" style, we have but 2 forms in total the "Da Jia" or big form and "Xiao Jia" or small form unlike Choy Lee Fut or Hung Gar which have their own forms of fighting, Qi Gong and weapon style.

Baji Quan does have some long range moves but they are rather not as effective as those close range moves. I work extreme well against opponent in a close range body to body match but I am just powerless against those who can keep their range with me.

Kicking range is really bad for me, I sparred with my Caporia friend and he can stop me from attacking by just keeping me at kicking range with his superior kicking technics. I tend to use more of my elbow, shoulder, body and back than kicks or punches which is why I do well better in close/short range.