• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hi i was thinking about signing up to a school that teaches hung ga. i have some TKD experience but not alot, i want to try something different, just wanted some feedback from people first thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should ask yourself what you're expecting to get in Hung Ga (Which I'm assuming is Hung Gar, I've never heard it that way but it may as well be)

How much TKD experience do you have? If you're still taking it, my suggestion would be to keep with it. Its not a good sign if you quit after a few months, and I know that when I switched from TKD to Kung Fu the training was pretty much the same, minus what moves we practiced and what forms we practiced.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

I think you should ask yourself what you're expecting to get in Hung Ga (Which I'm assuming is Hung Gar, I've never heard it that way but it may as well be)

At my school, they pronounce it "hung ga" even though they spell it "hung gar."

I know a bit of hung gar. I like it. Dunno what taekwondo is like, though, so I can't really compare. Ask if you can sit in on the class. If you like what they're doing - go for it!

I took a few lessons a couple of years ago at Shaolin Hung Gar Kung Fu Academy.

Very classical, but my tall lanky body (and aging :o ) could not take the ultra low stances and the body movmements required from those stances. The style features what can be described as "long fist" techniques.

Edited by RF_Brown

At my school, they pronounce it "hung ga" even though they spell it "hung gar."

I know a bit of hung gar. I like it. Dunno what taekwondo is like, though, so I can't really compare. Ask if you can sit in on the class. If you like what they're doing - go for it!

Or Huhng Ga

• 2 weeks later...

If your currently training or not satisfied with your current school I would say go for it. You have to be happy training and be positive that it is effective for what ever reason your doing it. For example SELF DEFENSE yes self defense would be a good reason, I know it sounds funny but some people dont do it for that reason. So make sure it is what you like and what you want for whatever reason.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!