• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shukokai (Tani-Ha Shito-Ryu)

username9

Hello, all.

I was Shukokai practicioner for a while, before I got out of martial arts for a time.

I will tell you what I know.

Shukokai karate, as I understand and understood it, was based in Kobe Japan, and it has a following there I believe. Then, it is also big in England and Scotland, and maybe other parts of UK, not quite sure. It also has a following in South Africa, and then, in the United States, it has strong bases in Michigan and New Jersey.

All the best,

Tom

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a dojo in the Atlantic provinces of Canada, where I live. I can't remember where but think it is in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I just saw it in passing, while travelling. I didn't get an opportunity to check it out.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone,

new to the forum, have been lurking off and on for a few months, but thought I'd take the plunge and join up.

Username9, Last time I checked the 8th Dan you maybe refering to is Sensei Tommy Morris from Scotland. Sensei Tommy was a studentof both Tani & Kimura Sensei's and has been graded a number of times by both Sensei's. Do a search for Kobe-Osaka International and you should find the latest information. Sensei Tommy, from the information I've read, was the person who brought Shukokai to Scotland/England. Here's the link to his site http://www.kobeosaka.com/About%20Us.shtml

As an Aussie, I started my Shukokai Training in Canberra and was graded in my early (training) years by Sensei Alan Murdoch who was a student of Sensei Tommy. Sensei Alan (7th Dan) passed away in November 2006.

Shukokai in general isn't well known in Australia, but if you do a search, there are quite a lot of Shukokau & Shito-Ryu Shukokai Dojos in Australia, with many of the Shukokai (as opposed to Shito-Ryu Shukokai) Dojo instructors can trace their links back to Sensei Alan. (yes there is a bit of politics in Australian Shukokai as well).

Shukokai in the US from what I've found on the web is fairly large, with many of the Dojo's having direct links to Kimura Sensei.

Cheers

Barry

Nidan

Sandan - Shukokai

Honbu - AM Shukokai Karate-Do Renmei