username9

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Sensei Kimura as being very quiet. He'd let his Karate speak for him. I remember him having very powerful techniques. He'd always be knocking over the guys holding the pads for him as he punched or kicked them. I was only 12 or 13 years old at the time so I don't have the kind of insight as someone who may have shared drinks with the man after hours, or indeed his deshi Mac and Jeff.

It is just nice to hear about it - people in other topics were picking on a yser called kev for claimng Shukokai used pads and stuff for practising - that was a Shukokai development.

Kimura developed that power by applying plyometric power to things so I hear!

Edited by Highler

'The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.'

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I teach Shito Ryu Shukokai karate in Edinburgh, to answer a few of your questions, our style is popular worldwide, not just in the UK. A lot of Tani Sensei's teachings are still followed today but they are following ful circle and encompassing the traditional and sport karate aspects.

One of the main men in Shito Ryu / Shukokai in Scotland is Sensei Tommy Morris (8th Dan) who studied under both Tani Sensei and Kimura Sensei.

We take part in competitions but prefer the traditional aspects of karate and encourage cross training as we believe that regardless of style we are all after the same thing - knowledge.

a few sights to visit:

https://www.takumidojo.org.uk

https://www.edinburghshukokai.co.uk

Yours in Budo

"refrain from violent actions"

Can someone please explain more about the double hip technique and extra power mentioned earlier.

regards makiwaraman

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

Perhaps the simplest way to explain it is in terms of using your body's natural movement to generate power rather than pure muscle strength as used when just driving from the shoulders.

If you push from the foot and engage the right hip whilst as you start to deliver a migi gyaku tsuki at the point of impact it will all be in line (foot, leg, hip, arm fist) and delivered fast.

To reduce the power for the recoil, without injury, you engage the left hip (most commonly incorporating a thrust) which allows the right hand to be brought back with speed but safely.

A lot can depend on the individual and their ability to use their own body / strips. There are some who can give you a more in depth description, but this is a rough outline.

Bottom line, the hip and legs/feet generate the power and speed.

Yours in Budo

"refrain from violent actions"

Thank you whippet its as I have been tought in shotokan were we are told to imagine a pole down centre of our body (action/reaction)when one hip goes forward the other must go back. regards makiwaraman

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

• 8 months later...

He He He... I LOVE SHUKOKAI! :D

I study it in South Africa :P

It's the coolest style for me :)

I tried Kushido, GoJu-Ryu, and Free-style Kung-fu...

I enjoy Shukokai the best :P

Little children, love one another. – St. John the Apostle

+ J.M.J +

--------------------------------------------

Shodan-Ho - Kimura Shukokai