• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shukokai (Tani-Ha Shito-Ryu)

username9

Hi guys,

I have studied Shukokai Karate since I was "ickle". I was just wondering how many people know of this style or even study it?

Is it studied in America?

It is an evolved style of Shito-Ryu, "created" by Sensei Tani.

So - any Shukokai-bretheren out there?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed there is! Shukokai is very popular in Britain, especially Scotland where i am. I am currently a 2nd kyu brown belt in it, however my particular club more follows the 'double hip' teachings of Shigeru Kimura who was a pupil i believe of Tani.

Mijukumono ga! Warawaseru na!

Erm...not too sure about the 10th dan, possibly, i'd need to check. From memory it is mostly 4th,5th and 6th dans though i do remember an 8th.

Does your club do alot of focus on bunkai and realistic fighting methods or are you more sport concentrated?

Unfortunately not enough. We are neither sport orientated or relism related - it's just All aspects of Karate. I keep trying to bring it to the self-defence side of things!

But it is like I say....just Karate for the sake of doing it sometimes. Everyone is too obsessed with grading at my club. That is Why I got bored and did other styles.

Gentleman, it seems that Shukokai is a predominantly England/Scotland/Ireland based art. Although from what I read on one of the homepages Soke Tani would have everyone believe differently:

"Modern Karate is made up of many styles which stem from their "hard" and "flexible" schools of origin. The main styles practised today are Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Wado Ryu and Shukokai although many more "splinter" groups have sprung up based to some degree on the aforementioned styles. "

Good luck with this style.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Jax_evolution, i hear what you are saying. I think the majority of shukokai schools are too competition orientated, however, all it takes is a shift in training to make it realistic which is what i'v been doing for the last 2 or 3 years. One thing about our style is that it's acknowledged as one of the 'harder' hitting styles of karate, that and our 'double hip' are pretty much what shukokai is famous for.

What rank do you yourself hold? As i mentioned i'm a brown belt, and i'm quite happy to stay that way as long as i can develop myself better, i don't really care about belts, after all, okinawa didn't use belts.

I am 2nd Dan. I should be third but I trained in other stuff and decided I don't care about grades any more....similar to yourself.

I BELIEVE the coloured-belt systems came from the fact that all belts were white, then as training went on - the belts did not get washed. And hence dirtier belts belonged to people who had trained longer. The darker the belt, the better the Karate-Ka.

I may be wrong but it fits - and I know it is not the case for TaeKwon Do.

As for our style being well respected - that is so true because a Black Belt is so tough to get in comparison with some styles apparently!

R u SKU or SKF or what?

• 4 weeks later...