Kicking: How high will you go?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Kicking: How high will you go?

• Lower Leg
    • Upper Leg
    • Stomach
    • Ribs/Chest
    • Head

So, here's the big question. How high are you willing to kick? I am always hearing that kicking above the waist, or above the fingertips when you stand straight with your hands at your side, or some other measurement, is bad. But how bad is it?

For a experienced Martial Artist who is good at what he/she does, I think high kicks are useful. They have the element of surprise and a good target area (chest/stomach).

So what is it for you?

Tang Soo!

Passion transcends pain.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai Kicks to the upper part of the leg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(then once they are on the ground kicks above the belt are okay!!!)

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I'll kick a person in the head, if they are dumb enough to drop their hands.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

We practice kicks to all areas of the body and all heights. However, we generally concentrate on kicks to the lower and upper legs and stomach areas, as they're probably the areas a person would go for when in a 'real' fight, although that does depend on the opponent, the situation and the skill of both parties.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Yup - I'd kick to any part of the body if the timing was right. Generally, though, in my sparring I'll keep kicks to the stomach/ribs. Only if the opportunity is really clear will I kick to the head.

It depends for me. If it's a real situation, no higher than the waist or ribs (again depends on the situation, timing, ect). Low Thai kicks are good for that. In class is a different story :D Like thaiboxerken said, if they are dumb enough to drop their hands ... Whap! *Boot to the head* hehehehe

Laurie F

um.... not sure how to answer this...

i generally don't kick higher than my own stomach/solar plexus level.

i guess that equates to, in terms of targets, the hips.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I voted "stomach", but actually it's lower than that at the lower abdomen.

And for you guys that say "drop you hands and I'll kick you in the head"... I hope you are done having children or walking with a limp for the rest of your life. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

i don't even think they're slow as much as you're just put off balance.

i generally don't kick higher than the stomach, which i know is a bit odd for a korean stylist, but i just have trouble commiting. as SS alluded to, i like my groin, i don't want to do it harm. and if i see quick movements with a chamber that high, i tend to drop a bit... less to protect the groin and more to keep balance. but maybe that's a flexibility thing. i might go for a quick kick to the head for an easy point in point sparring, but only once per round, twice, and only if it's set up for an easy 2 points.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai