• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Choreographed movie fighting : which is best to learn?

To JUST take it for looks and not for the martial aspect won't give you a great fighting basis. Tae kwon do and Wu shu often times(but not always) can give you the looks without developing SD skills. It is important to remember that to truly learn a MA you will need a lot of time and effort.

1-up!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think that the best thing might be to go and look for stunt training first, then go into specifics like maybe a martial art or maybe even gymnastics. If flashy moves is all that you are after, why not go and train in something that specifically trains your agility and flexibility and acrobatic skills?

ohayo gozaimasu, o genki desu ka.

• 3 weeks later...

XMA specifically teaches flashy movements, and incorporates the high flying acrobatics and gymnastics that are usually used in today's movies. I can't stand it though, and think of it as glorified gymnastics rather than a martial art. I must discourage you from using martial arts for such superficial purposes and would like to see the movie makers get back to non-special effects laden martial arts scenes and movies that show off real skill, but that will only happen when they actually start making good movies again, and who knows when that will be?

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor