• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

losing my grip

Thank you for all of your post they will be taken and put to good use

"It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live." - Sir Thomas Brown

I bring the pain hope you can take it-Cash Monroe

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I had a five year slump after reaching 1st Dan where I quit taking class and started studying other styles on my own. It was about a year ago when I realized how much I needed (and missed) class in order to really meet my own goals. Watching and reading about great martial artists such as Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris, and Dan Inosanto was a big motivator and made me realize just how much work I had to do if I really wanted to become a great martial artist. But you really do have to want it, or else its worthless to you anyway.

At the same time, I'm not sure if I would have learned the same lessons had I not gone through this "slump." Peaks and vallies I guess.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• 2 months later...

y'know what, i'm so glad you posted this.

i've lost motivation a long time ago. i tried other martial arts, i tried lifting weights, i tried taking a break, thought about competing... thought too long. now i feel old. i'm interested in getting back into martial arts hardcore and testing for more belts.

i think what helped me keep my motivation (or gain it back) was to get together with people that had that fire going. it's REALLY contagious. make some new friends at school that you know are just starting out, befriend a white belt... coach them through the beginnings... i know i remembered how much i loved martial after hearing about how a friend recently tested for his first dan. so, that's where i'm at now. getting back into shape. hahaha

Part of your enthusiasm can be maintained by delving into the different aspects of your art,... its history, its philosophy, and learning how to dissect technique and put it back together for perfect finish (speed, power, application). Bordom comes with complacency. Many times new Black Belts expect some sort of epiphany when they make black belt. I make sure to tell mine that Black Belt is really the beginning,... that now, I can REALLY start to show them things... as long as they keep their training up. That way,... Black Belt doesn't become bleak belt...

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

i think what helped me keep my motivation (or gain it back) was to get together with people that had that fire going. it's REALLY contagious. make some new friends at school that you know are just starting out, befriend a white belt... coach them through the beginnings... i know i remembered how much i loved martial after hearing about how a friend recently tested for his first dan. so, that's where i'm at now. getting back into shape. hahaha

That describes my whole school, most especially my Master.

It also helps that KSW has additional material to learn at every belt level. Eventually, I hope to get to the healing techniques at Master level.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.