• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

losing my grip

how do you other bb keep the fire and passion in your MA i'm going crazy and gettting tired :kaioken: :-? :( :(

"It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live." - Sir Thomas Brown

I bring the pain hope you can take it-Cash Monroe

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

okc, I don't know why, but I'm kinda at the point too. I have been doing a lot with my dojang, which has been fun (we have regular outtings, cookouts, ect). I help out with testing, and the kids. I'm having a blast. BUT with the training part ..... I don't know the word for it. I don't hate training .... But I think I'm just stuck in a "slump" again.

Laurie F

I took ten years off from my training just after my 1st dan test. I passed, but my instructor quit not long after, and all of the sudden everything I had been working towards seemed to come to an end. Now, many years later, and hopefully a little wiser, I realize the mistake I made. Since then, I have had those times in my training where it is a struggle to motivate myself, but now I work through them. I may not feel like working out, but I go, I work out, and then when the passion is rekindled, I am that much better off. My instructor used to say it, and I've heard from many other people too... You have to keep walking through the vally if you want to reach the next summit. But know that after the summit, another vally looms.

Push yourself through the tough times.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

It was never my goal to make 4th dan. But how did it happen? I just happened to stick around long enough and they told me I had to. You see, when I started feeling caught in the same routine I somehow always discoverd something about TKD to keep me interested, and therefore staying active all these years.

For many years I was big time into competition. It was extremely fun hitting all the tournaments with my son and daughter, and it was more fun to train and learn with them. Then there was a time where Hapkido peaked my interest. My friend and I would go around to some other area TKD schools that don't put a lot of emphasis on seld defense and we would conduct some free seminars. I also got into forms (katas) for a while there. Currently my kids and I are developing our intrest in weapons. This is an area that is not emphasized at our dojang, so we feel like we are off on our own little 'project' and are looking forward to the day when we have learned enough and honed our skills well enough to put on a weapons demo at one of our dojan's belt test.

My point, there's always something you can get better at, or learn about that you already don't know. Find that something, set a goal, make a roadmap to achieve that goal, and get to it. But most of all....have fun!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Start teaching.

That's a good one too. But if you start to feel a burn out with that, and then quit, it may do harm to your students drive to learn as well. If you do decide to teach, keep looking for new ideas to help spread your knowledge, and that may keep it enjoyable for a good long time.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

why not study a different style? My instrucor has trained in different arts such as BJJ, Savate, French Cane but has always come back to TKD. He has adapted some of the techniquies he has learned to suit his fighting style. why not be more well rounded, if your really that burnt out take a break and do something that you like to do.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder