• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

OLYMPIC KARATE NOW

jedimc

Taekwondo on the olymipics didn't impress me much either.

I grasp every chance I get to watch martial arts on tv, competitions, documentaries, whatever. I hope to learn something new. Sometimes it motivates and inspires me. Yes, I would watch kata and sparring competitons if karate was an olympic sport. But that doesn't mean I want it to be one.

If you wanna compete, well, feel free to do so. But to me, karate is a martial art. I don't practice to win medals. Competitions are a tool that shows you which techniques you are actually able to use (in a fight) and which still need more practice. You don't need olympics for that.

Yer this is why Karate would be more entertaining than olympic Taekwondo

Jedimc: You want to be entertained??? Or are you just saying that if taekwondo made it to the olympics, well, so should karate? Why? Because you think it's better, superiour? Or you you just want it to become recognized as a sport..? Again why?

Just asking... :)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taekwondo on the olymipics didn't impress me much either.

I grasp every chance I get to watch martial arts on tv, competitions, documentaries, whatever. I hope to learn something new. Sometimes it motivates and inspires me. Yes, I would watch kata and sparring competitons if karate was an olympic sport. But that doesn't mean I want it to be one.

If you wanna compete, well, feel free to do so. But to me, karate is a martial art. I don't practice to win medals. Competitions are a tool that shows you which techniques you are actually able to use (in a fight) and which still need more practice. You don't need olympics for that.

Yer this is why Karate would be more entertaining than olympic Taekwondo

Jedimc: You want to be entertained??? Or are you just saying that if taekwondo made it to the olympics, well, so should karate? Why? Because you think it's better, superiour? Or you you just want it to become recognized as a sport..? Again why?

Just asking... :)

Like you said i also gasp for any martial arts on tv but i never see competitions, i see movies and that it, but when i do see martial art competition its the olympic judo and taekwondo and i thought if taekwondo can be in the olympic then can karate can be too.

I respect everyone's thought about this subject and the people who think it should not be a olympic sport have a good point.

Taekwondo is a great art and im not saying anything bad about it , it would be nice have see a karate competition on the tv.

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

Yeah, my sensei went on some special refferee course to try and help get karate into the olympics.

The only thing is, karate can sometimes be very hard to refferee because of its scoring system and various forms of contacxt that is allowed.

"there is no first hand in karate"

I guess all sorts of issues would come up because of all the different styles of karate.

It's politics at the end...

I don't like politics.. :(

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I guess all sorts of issues would come up because of all the different styles of karate.

It's politics at the end...

I don't like politics.. :(

You can see what happened with TKD and politics when they tried to incorporate all TKD under the Kukkiwon. Splits and factions, some kwans not even being recognized as a true Kwan... it was a mess. If Karate became an olympic event, there would have to be an organization to standardize the rules... and that's where things would begin to go wrong.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

I've heard that tae kwon do is out for the next olympics, and that's why they are looking at karate. But they are also, from what I hear, looking at Wushu, which is a more likely addition to the Olympics in China.

I think the only rule set that would be able to avoid really sketchy subjective judging is knockdown/kyokushin. Even the scoring in Olympic boxing is often VERY arguable. I can see point karate being much worse.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate