• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Complete White Belt

vertigo

I just joined the shotokan club here at my university. Complete white belt, no experience before.

Any suggestions/things to know?

Thanks

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congratulations, vertigo! Hopefully this will be the start of a long and fulfilling karate journey :) .

Tips? Hm.. pay attention in class, listen, observe, and enjoy! Oh, and don't be discouraged by the overwhelming novelty of what you'll learn. Remember - even the sensei was once in the position of being a complete novice.

Hey, congratulations!

Just repeating what the others have said, really. Remember, karate gets harder, deeper and more exciting with every lesson you attend, so persevere and practise hard and you'll have a rewarding and fun time!

Also, don't skimp on etiquette, it's more important and noticeable than most beginners realise.

Lastly, my sensei always says 'the most important and basic block is not to be there in the first place'. So like gcav said - duck!

:karate:

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

Try to enjoy it. Be attentinve, ask around when you have some questions, try to understand the mechanics of the techniques, work hard and still know when to take it easy, listen to your body, be constant in your effort, try to go to classes whenever possible (don't skip too many), be nice to other people and they'll be nice to you .. and never forget: what you can't do today, you'll be proficient at tomorrow.

Welcome in the beautiful world of karate. Enjoy your journey and good luck.

Welcome to the world of the martial arts. Train hard and gain as much knowledge as possible from your instructors and even fellow students.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Best advice I was ever given:

Always know there is more to learn; never think you know everything about anything.

We tend to get tempted very easily to brag about what we "know", instead of bragging about the fact that there is so much more to learn.

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

Welcome to karate and welcome to Karate Forums!

I hope that you continue to enjoy your training - train hard and train regularly and you will see great results.

Listen to your Sensei, practice regularly and be determined to suceed.

Good luck with your training! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!