• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Me and my son both train in soo bahk do. It cost us $60/month for both of us. With that you can basically go to any class you want to (which there are two 1 hour adult classes per day, Monday through Friday). You can attend as many classes as you want to but you have to attend at least 8 classes per month if you want to advance at a normal rate. Our shool also has specialty clinics on the weekends such as specialized self defense training, weapons classes, advanced forms, etc.

There are 160 active students in the dojang I train in.

https://www.soobahkdo.com

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilites, but in the expert's there are few."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do many MA schools in the USA charge on a per-lesson basis, or are the majority the 'pay monthly' type?

Here in the UK MA schools that charge on a month by month basis are in the minority. It is usually only the very large clubs that have dedicated MA premises that charge monthly fees. Most other clubs charge per lesson.

For karate, kobudo and FSD I pay £3 (about US$5.50) per 2 hour lesson, although my instructor doesn't usually charge me these days, as I teach beginner classes for him.

For Wing Chun I pay £7 (about US$13.50) per 90 minute lesson.

In my area kung fu/Chinese MA styles tend to be the highest charging, with karate and kickboxing schools the least expensive.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

considerint the fact that its just aikido, seems a bit steep to me.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

I pay £25 a month, and for that I get to train as much as I want, 7 days a week, with more than one lesson on some days. In addition we also have black belt lessons once we get above green belt, which are all included in the price. These include pressure point training, weapons training, sparring, extra kata drills etc. I worked out once with the amount of training I do it's about £1.25 an hour.

But then I get paid for being an assistant instructor anyway... which is more than I get charged (if you see what I mean)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

YAY TANGSOOGUY. :D

I guess it's just hard for students to realize an instructor/owner has to make a living for his family...and being a MA instructor is not easy on the instructor OR his/her family, ESPECIALLY when they're not making enough money to make ends meet because people aren't willing to bring new students to classes and then complain about having to raise monthly dues...anyway, off my rant now... :roll: :P

I would visit the schools in your area and see what they're offering compared to what they're charging. Depending on how sure you are about your (or your child's) dedication to and seriousness about this venture, you can judge which price you're willing to pay...

As always, the middle-range is probably the best, but don't overlook the guy charging $5/class who teaches in his garage, you're likely to get the best REAL training from him if his references check out OK.

When our dojang was open full time and we were paying rent, we charged $45/month for unlimited classes throughout the week and recommended they attend no more than 3/week to give their body time to rest...

https://www.karatebarn.com

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..." Phil. 4:13

depending on where you are ex. Urban or Rural classes can be quite expensive. You should see how often you would train and how long each practice. After taht it is up to you to decide weather or not it is worth it to you. Good luck.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8