• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The military, jujitsu, front kick and wet paper bags...

It does amaze me that many people claim the military made them experts in hand-to-hand combat. I mean, don't they realize that many, many people were in the military and that the person they are trying to * has a good chance of having been in the military themselves? Military training in martial arts is usually really bad, then again, in these times of firearms, hand-to-hand combat isn't a high priority for military traing.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the efficacy of the front kick.... In one of the few violent situations I've been in outside the dojo a friend of mine from our TKD club was at a pub, and a much taller guy grabbed him by the throat in a one handed grab. My friend grabbed the guy's wrist with both hands and front kicked him hard just below the sternum. The guy not only dropped like a bag of patoatoes but also lost consciousness. My friend has done a lot of hard weight training for many years and has a very strong kick. Applied well by the right person it seems to me to be a very effective kick.

...a much taller guy grabbed him by the throat in a one handed grab. My friend grabbed the guy's wrist with both hands and front kicked him hard just below the sternum.

Uhhhh..your friend would have to be VERY short for that to work. Even then, I think what you're saying isn't possible unless the tall guy let go and they seperated a bit. And to do a kick like you're talking about when the attacker has you around the throat is just plain dumb IMHO. The attacker has physical contact with you, and you're going to take one of your feet off the ground and become unstable? *shaking my head here*....not to smart if you ask me....even if it was possible.

The guy not only dropped like a bag of patoatoes but also lost consciousness.

Uhhhh...how did the attacker do that? Knock the wind out of him...yes...but lose consciousness? Doubtful.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Hey, don't doubt Markusan.. Those TKD'ers can throw any kick from ANY range.

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Hey, don't doubt Markusan.. Those TKD'ers can throw any kick from ANY range.

I disagree. Look at the physics behind what he's describing. A guy, taller or not is grabbing you by the throat. If he does not let go of that throat, you can't bring your foot up and do a front snap kick to his sternum. You're just to close. Try it yourself.

Also something to think about is when yo ubring your foot off the floor, you have a guy holding your throat...wouldn't he be pushing against that throat, or at least most likely be doing so? So if you bring one foot off the floor to kick him, you have just lost any balance you had and he will push you back, probably dropping him on his rear end. OK..if that happened, then he may lost his hold on the throat...and then as you're falling backwards, you could kick him in the sternum...but that's not what the poster said.

A roundhouse to the knee...yes. Groin...yes. Not the sternum. The guy's to close.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Sure they can, just ask em. They can throw a spinning roundhouse kick from the guard, even.

Sure they can, just ask em. They can throw a spinning roundhouse kick from the guard, even.

:roll:

Hey, I'm a TKDer, and I take offense at your lack of faith in the mighty, mighty art of TKD story-telling.

Now, I personally have been in that exact same situation, and I used a jump 360 spin hook kick on the guy. Not only dropped him in his tracks, it ended up knocking out three people on his father's side of the family. The great grand master deluxe of Shimmy Sho Kwan Do Skidoo just happened to be looking on, and he ended up giving me an "honorary" 6th Degree black belt, and proclaimed me "Mighty Weasle-boy", which I guess is a real honor in his style. :karate: :karate:

So, I have to think that he isn't in TKD at all, if his story stopped with a simple front kick. :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. Who am I to judge? I've never been that close to actually using my training, but I do agree that for complete clarity, we need a few more details of the event....

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

I was about to say "I rest my case"...but then see that you weren't serious! lol

Anybody that thinks they can front snap kick someone while that someone is holding onto your throat...please try it. You can't do it I'll bet. Knee to the groin...yes, but not a front snap kick. And why would you want to? You can't generate any power from it at that close range...even if you could do it. It would be a push, not a kick.

Now, using your hands...that's a totally different story. A multitude of possabilities there.

self centered people like that are gasping for more attention. the learning never ends and in my eyes every valid black belt knows that.

Be everything. Be nothing.