• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The military, jujitsu, front kick and wet paper bags...

"Shorinryu Sensei

Black Belt"

'Bout time!Congrats, even if it is just for talking! :lol:

WapCaplet- reminds me of Jim Nolan. (Don't wrack your brain, you don't know of him). In one tour in the Navy, Nolan was on an aircraft carrier, in subs, a SeaBee, and of course, a Navy Seal. If you'd done it, Nolan had done it better. All kinds of ranks in dang near anything martial. We all measured your tolerance for * as your Nolan Quotient. Sounds sort of like your guy.

Your Sensei did the right thing. He gave the guy a chance, even though I bet he knew the result from day one. Besides his attempts to build himself up by undermining the instructors, something no 'Master' would do, his comments showed a complete lack of understanding.

thaiboxerken pretty much said it about the front kick:

The snap kick isn't really a powershot, but if it's well timed and placed, it can serve to knock the wind out of a person or distract them enough to open up other opportunities of attack. A kick doesn't have to be powerful to work, just use it for the right reason.

As for the example set for his kids, I don't think they stand much of a chance in that regard. This kind of person is focused only on themselves. Pretty sad.

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Shorinryu Sensei

Black Belt"

'Bout time!Congrats, even if it is just for talking! :lol:

Thanks. Nice to know I have a black belt in shooting the bull, huh? A dubious honor? :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

some people just think they can get over on anyone

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

I've seen a similar situation. A family of a mother, father and about 6 kids came into my instructor's class one night to watch. the father was walking with a cane. I noticed how he kept pulling people aside and talking to them. he finally caught me and starting bragging about his martial training in the military. he said that he learned a form of TKD and refused to test for black belt because he would've had to register his hands as weapons! we all kinda laughed at him. his family stayed for a long time and actually excelled. he unfortunatley only critisized them and the rest of the class from the sidelines.

everynight he'd have some new crazy story about how he is so skilled with his walking cane and could kill people with his lilttle finger.

I guess this type of thing happens a lot.

I have never been in a situation where I needed to kick my way out of a wet paper bag.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

You had wet paperbags at your blackbelt test?

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

You had wet paperbags at your blackbelt test?

Yeah. It was a little hard at first, but my instructor realized that I was not giving up, and after the 50th try, I broke through. Afterwards, my instructor told me that it was more so the effort than the actual accomplishment that he was looking for. This motivated me to later start benchpressing tuna fish sandwiches. Well, I had to start out with something lighter, like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at first.

It is pretty amusing how many people claim that they are the ultimate fighting machine simply because they are in "the military". Being a military member myself, I always offer to train with them or at least discuss theory and principles, but they always find some excuse to back out...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/