• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The military, jujitsu, front kick and wet paper bags...

I was a close combat instructor in the Marine Corps circa 1996-98. The things we learned and were taught were mainly battlefield techniques used as a last resort...the first thing you're taught is to use any weapon of opportunity (bayonet, rifle buttstock, stick, knife). I always felt that you were taught just enough to get your butt kicked....they instilled a feeling of invincibility into you and then gave you just a smattering of knowledge to defend it with.

Now my instructor for the instructor's course was a pretty decent guy. He ran a mixed martial arts training center off base and was an all around decent fighter and instructor. He was a Master Sergeant, a ju-jitsu instructor, a boxer, and a fairly nasty guy. He tried to teach us as much extra as he could in the limited time frame of the course...I think it was a 3 week course. 3 weeks to completely master a system so that you could teach it to a group of infantry Marines. That should give you an idea of how proficient your average Marine is in close combat.

The system we learned (Line - Linear Infighting/Neurological Override Engagement) focused on overriding the neurological system by causing extreme pain(usually from a broken arm and then a front kick to the face while you were bending your opponent over - maybe where the idea of the front kick being taught to the Marines comes from?) and then ending in sweeping the opponent to the ground and killing him with a heel stomp to the face. Nearly every technique was designed to severly incapacitate or kill your opponent. It was very simple and we taught it like Kata. 1...2...3...getting faster and faster.

My squad worked on line about once every 2 weeks...and that was more than most...so my feeling is that your average military member is not that proficient.

We didnt use any snap kicks or standing kicks or punches...everything we taught was defensive except for bayonet fighting or sentry removal with a knife. All unarmed techniques were self-defence based. We did a lot of knife fighting, both offensive and defensive and bayonet/pugil stick fighting, again offensive and defensive.

I dont really know much about what system they are using now.... but just wanted to give a military perspective on your question/experience.

TIM

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are you so influenced by rank &

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi