• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicks above the waist in a real fight?

That's how I train as well. I try to train to be effective against the faster and stronger person.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think high kicks have there place in real fighting as much anything else. Yes they are easy to see coming and are most of the time easy to defend against. But I will tell you this, a good properly placed roundhouse to the side of the head following a stunning punch or elbow strike can easily finish sombody off . Can you say fight over?

That, Draythorn, depends on who's kicking and how.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

I agree Thia. I was just going on the theory that if you do know how to throw a solid roundhouse to the head that is not seen coming because of the stunning blow it can be a affective way of ending a fight. And if you are refering to sombody being able to open up with a high kick then I have seen few who can consistently land a kick chest high or above at the very beginning of a fight against a trained opponent. Not saying it is impossible by any means but just not something I would ever do as a opening manuever. Everyone is different in the way they fight. Some faster than others , some stronger. And going back to a roundhouse to the head not being able to finish the fight if landed by a proficient practitioner , It may not knock the person out but it will in most cases make it to where you can without much effort get away if need be . In turn I mean the fight will be over if you want it to be.

• 2 weeks later...

I've defended this on several threads, and I could still be wrong.

I've never been in any fights that lasted long enough for me to use my kicks, but I'm 6'5", really flexible, and have faster kicks than anybody in my dojo other than my sifu. My legs are long even for my height. Therefore, a kick to the head is barely higher than my chest or stomach.

So, could it work for me?

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Thank you for your responses

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

• 4 weeks later...

If you kick high, it makes it easy to get your foot grabbed. If you kick (ahem) low, cheap shot but hard to defend against.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."