Kicks above the waist in a real fight?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having never been in a real 'street fight' or whatever you want to call it, I can't comment, but when me and my fiance spar after class, I often use high kicks. Why? Because I know my opponent. I know that he is amazing at high kicks but doesn't expect anyone else to ever use them. I like to catch him off guard!

I guess in a real fight you do whatever comes into your head at the time - hopefully I'll never have to find out!

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

i wouldd like to comment on what someone said. "whatever is open kick it" i think this is not an appropriate mindset because if you square off with a skilled fighter he might intentionally leave an open target and if you bite his bait... splat! bam! boom! lights out...

It is better to have a knife and never need one. than not having one and really need one.

I have been (unfortunately) in TONS of street fights as a bouncer for 19 years.....never ever ever have I kicked above the waist.....I like to take out the legs or knees.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I agree Master Jules, I bounced for about a year while in the Navy, I never EVER kicked above the waist. The idea is take out the legs, knees or ankles which brings them down to waist level, at that time a finishing kick to the mouth seems to work well. Anytime a kick comes to my head, that simply means that the person is inviting me to snap their other knee.

Never Quit, Never Give Up, Never Surrender.....

True true Rhino.....a kick to the head is like an invitation that says.."hey....sweep me and take me down". LOL

I strongly agree with Master Jules.

I love to kick high when I practice, but I will only do it in a real fight if my opponent is not very experienced.

My roomate is a wrestler. kicking him high is giving him what he wants. the same goes especially with people practicing grappling arts. a high kick is an invitation to take you on the ground.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

Yes, high kicks look cool and IF you land a good one they are extremely powerful. But very few people have the speed to execute on without opening themself up. If you do, great. But for me, I'll hook him in the side of the head, throw an elbow to his face, or uppercut to the chin. I'll save my kicks for the legs, groin, and stomach. Just my thoughts, do as you please.

I strongly agree with Master Jules.

I love to kick high when I practice, but I will only do it in a real fight if my opponent is not very experienced.

My roomate is a wrestler. kicking him high is giving him what he wants. the same goes especially with people practicing grappling arts. a high kick is an invitation to take you on the ground.

I always treat every opponent as if they are my superior.....never judge a book by its cover.....You NEVER know what kind of experience someone else has.....Whe my "switch" gets flipped....its all out baby.....and look out......The Sandman cometh full force. :brow:

I always treat every opponent as if they are my superior.....never judge a book by its cover.....You NEVER know what kind of experience someone else has.....Whe my "switch" gets flipped....its all out baby.....and look out......The Sandman cometh full force. :brow:

Agreed, makes sense.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle