• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicks above the waist in a real fight?

I Feel high kicks a easily defended and not worth the risk when there are so many more effective less risky techs avail....

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but there are a few people out there who have some pretty hard to defend against high kicks.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

i never kick above the chest.

Only time you could get sumone in the face is when you either trick them or when they are very tired.

Kicking high leaves you open if you go against a fighter.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

I would think that you should use whatever technique would work and that you are most comfortable with. If you are not comfortable kicking to the head, then do not do it, when it comes down to defending yourself. If you are only comfortable kicking to the head, then why would anyone say, "Don't do that!"?

In a true "fight" where injury or death is a real concern, it's not the time to try any technique that you have no confidence with. I would say that goes for something as simple as a palm strike. If you do not have any confidence that you can land it, if you have never practiced it, and a technique that you are more comfortable with would be just as effective, then go with what you are comfortable with, and save the practice for class.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Generally speaking it is better, safer and more effective to use low kicks in a real combat situation. However, there are times that a high kick can be effective if your opponent is not expecting it. If he is used to combat in fist fighting range and is not expecting an attack when he is in kicking range the element of surprise will be enought to win you advantage in that particular combat scenario.

Also a high kick to the face can be used against a weakened opponent who may almost be out on his feet. However, when in doubt or if you come up against a skilled fighter it is better to stick to lower kicks - if you are proficient in them of course.

KFM

Only time and commitment will make your Traditional "style" good and give you real knowledge.

"Marry" your chosen system as opposed to just flirting with it.

Make it your partner for life and you will see how well and how complete it really is.

Never limit your options. Train hard and often and you will have more confidence in all of your techniques. I teach to use low kicks as much as possible on the street (especially for lower belts), but you never know when the oppertunity will present itself to take that kick to the head. A friend of mine has kicks that are so fast that he can hit you in the head with a front, side or round house kick before your brain even registers that his foot is moving.

Train like your life depends on it....Because it does.

holy crap, how many times must this post be redone

i know that is a logical question to ask and i even asked it but man over and over again by different peeps, its funny.

there should be a poll for most commonly asked questions, this would when.

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

I think the best time to kick to the head is after you've taken a person down. However, kicking high can work for some people.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.