• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

best book for grappling

Well since bjj seems to be well represented in this disscussion I will recommend some judo books. The books I am recommending are essential reading for any body doing judo or any of it's offspring.

1) "The canon of Judo" by Kyuzo Mifune. Widely considerd by most to be the most skillful Judoka of all time. This book is focused on judo techniques that have been all but forgotten since judo became an olympic sport. It cover the various guard positions and their passings, leg locks, throws, chokes, and more. It contains a huge section on ground grappling making it a must have.

2)"A-Z of Judo" by Syd Hoare. Written by 7th Dan British Judoka Syd Hoare, this book is often referred to as the Judo bible. A staggering number of techniques are catalogued ; Roughly, 100 throws and takedowns, 20 pins, 30 arm locks, 40 chokes, 7 leg locks, 7 neck & spine locks, and 3 wrist locks. Making probably THE definitive collection of both traditional and modern Judo techniques.

3)"Judo in action" by Kazuzo Kudo. This book is divided into two books actually. Judo in action:throws, and judo in action: ground fighting. Another hard to find classic (some copies run upwards of 70 bucks) but well worth the expense.

Hope this helps.

I'm only going to ask you once...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...