• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

best book for grappling

i grapple sometimes for fun. you start on your knees and you cant stand. you cant strike.

the idea is either tape out or passout.

anybody know of a greta video, book, web site. i dont care how to get the info, i just want the info.

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I recently purchased Mastering Jujitsu by Renzo Gracie. It's over 200 pages long, in a huge format. Techniques are well explained, as are the underlying theories etc. There is also a section on self defense, another for competition, anything you could want. It cost me about $20. I'm not a true grappler (yet) but even I can see that this is a great book.

If you want to learn throws, get Judo: Techniques and Tactics by Jimmy Pedro, two-time Olympic medalist. It also teaches some good matwork.

i can't speak for the jujitsu book(although i'm sure it's great because of the author) but Jimmy Pedro's book doesn't go any to deep into ground work. As usual, most of the book is throws and variations with only a small portion devoted to grappling. Grappling is hard to learn through a book, if you can I would try and workout with a college wrestler or team. although i've learned a lot from judo, most of my groundwork comes from wrestling and it's very applicable in real life when there is no gi.

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown

i do grapple in my MA but it is usually every other week. usually we go real hard in sparring and afterward we grapple, but lately the instructyors want us to only sparr.

im just looking for a book that talks about alot of basic and advanced techniques.

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

brazilian jiu jitsu theory and technique by renzo and royler gracie is a nice one. dont think you can learn anything without an instructor though. cause you cant.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

thankyou but i have decided that for now i am going to hold off on any book that talks about specific techniques and all.

recently i have been reading books about philosiphy of martial arts and life. this seems to be helping with my MA's more than anything.

I have just bought "Submission Fighting Techniques" from Amazon - but I forget the name of the author. It is a blue book if that helps!

I also have "Inside the Lion's Den" Ken Shamrocks book. If he interests you it is an excellent book - It has his life story up to him joining WWF and then his training techniques.

I bought the entire series of BJJ books by the gracies (and the one by jean jaques machado through gracie publishing). There are no better BJJ books. The photos alone are worth the cost of the book. As for not being able to learn anything from a book...I agree to an extent. I was able to learn several nuances to techniques that I was simply doing slightly incorrect from Renzo and Royler's book. It's by no means a substitute for an instructor and live training, but they are a very valuable addition to your library.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

gene labell has a couple of good books

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi