• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which style would be best for me?

Hi all.

I am thinking about starting martial arts again and I wondering if anyone has an suggestions on what styles might meet my need. As far as my background goes I haven't studied martial arts since I was a freshman in college about 16 years ago. At that time I was taking Tae Kwon Do. My only recent experience is taking a kick-boxing class at my local gym. I am fairly physically fit but I am a big guy, 6'2" - 230. Although I am not looking for something super competitive or aggressive I do want something that will be challenging and that I can continue to grow at for the rest of my life and that can be used in the real world. Finally, I am looking for something that has a spiritual-centering side to it as well. Any styles that meet this criteria?

Thanks!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When you say "Spiritual centering" are you referring to the eastern philosophies that you might find incorporated within a particular MA, or are you looking for one that will stay within certain boudries of your current belief system?

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Firstly, welcome to Karate Forums! :)

Well, you need to decide whether you'd prefer a style that is grappling based or one that concentrates more on grappling.

If you're looking for a 'spiritual' or 'internal' based martial art, then I'd suggest Aikido or Tai Chi Chuan (Taijiquan). Although these arts take a long time to master, they are both fulfiling and rewarding, as well as being challengingand somnething that can be trained in throughout life.

However, if you choose Tai Chi Chuan, I'd suggest that you find a teacher who understands the martial applications of the movements, not a teacher who teaches Tai Chi simply for health benefits (or a teacher that attended a weekend course to 'become a Tai Chi instructor').

The best thing for you to do would probably to have a look round and see what styles of martial art are available in your area, then report back and people here can provide you with info about each style, if you need it.

Trying out a few classes in each of the martial arts available to you would also be a good idea. That way you'll get a 'feel' for each art and be able to decide if it might be for you or not.

Good luck in your search! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Thanks for the replies so far. When I say spiritual I mean that in more of a general sense. I am looking for something that has a centering/meditative element to it as well. I know many martial arts do have this and I am guessing how much of this I find will be based more on the instructor and the school then the style.

I am planning on looking into Aikido first because it seems like it may meet quite a few of things I am looking for but I am open to other suggestions. I have thought about Tai Chi but I would like to be in something that after a few years of practice I would have some idea of how it could be used in the real world. I realize many martial arts take years to master but Tai Chi I have heard can take decades before it could be used in a practical sense.

I have also thought about Kung Fu but I have no idea what styles are the most commonly taught and there don't seem to be as many kung fu teachers out there. Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks!

One follow up question. I will be checking out an Aikido class that is taught a local Japanese Cultural center. It seems to be pretty ideal because it's only about $25 per month. My only concern is that they only have class twice a week for two hours per class. Is this enough to improve?

Most of it will depend on how much you work outside of class. In the style I trained with in the 80's, we only met twice per week, but I worked out with another student at least two or three days a week outside of class. I managed to test for my 1st dan in just under 4 years. this was a little quicker than most in that style, but I really worked my butt off. There were those students who didn't work outside of class, and some of them were still at their 2nd and 3rd gup ranks when my friend and I tested for 1st dan. It really depends on you and how much you want to put into it.

If the price fits into your budget, and the training times fit into your schedule, then this might be a good place to look into. Good luck, and let us know how your search is continuing.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Thanks for the insight. I have been contacting various schools and I am hoping to star observing some classes in the next week. I will be observing class at a couple of Aikido schools and one Hung Gar class as well. There are just so many styles and schools to choose from and I want to find a place I really works for me. I must admit this process is quite overwhelming.

Yes it can be overwhelming, but it will be well worth it to do the research. Once you find a school that you like, with an instructor that will challenge you in the area you would like to be challenged, I think you will have an enjoyable time with your training. It is definetly worth the effort!

I am hoping that is what will happen. I am sure that I will know when I have found the right place. I guess I am a little torn on what I want to get out of a martial art. I definitely want someting with a spiritual , by that I mean meditative zen element, but I also want something challenging that I can grow at and that has some practical uses.