• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why is Muay Thai so good?

i train in kyokushin karate and we also do full contact sparring/competition. We have some very conditioned fighters and are allowed knees (not sure about elbows, but i assume so) and low

But the reason Muay Thai is a great system is not because of the style itself (although it is good, but so are most other systems) but because of how hard they train generally speakin muay thai school train much harder than alot of the other martial arts, but there are some that still have very strict training regimes.

1. we don't claim muay thai is the ultimate style - there is no ultimate style. It is a VERY good one though.

2. modern kyokushin has been influenced by muay thai. Some of what and how you are training came from the thai camps.

Matter of fact, Kyokushin when 7-0 in Kyokushin vs K-1 (in which many fighters are kickboxing/muay thai).

I hate when people say things like that... one day, they will realize that it doesn't matter. Are YOU 7-0 against thai boxers? If not, then it really has no relevance. Too many people try to piggy back their style on other practitioners' accomplishments...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sevenstar, i agree with you completely. But its just the title of this thread that got to me a lil. "Why is Muay Thai so good?" because you see the title could have also been any of these: "why is shotokahn karate so good?" "why is Kenpo so good?" "why is BJJ so good?" "why is Wing Chun so good?"

See what im saying? Its not the style, its the person, and as i said earlier, its the methods of training that affect how good the person will be (of course there are SOME exceptions ofs tyles being complete crap). The 7-0 was not a braggin right thing or anything of that sort. It was just to show that muay thai, kickboxing, or any other style including Kyokushin can be beaten by someone who trains equallyhard or harder than you.

Training is the key.

yeah, I feel what you're saying. I think it's more the style than the person BECAUSE of the training methods. the training methods are key, as you said. styles like mt, bjj, kyokushin, boxing, etc. are known for having rigorous training methods. Other styles are more hit and miss - some of them may train hard, but not all of them do. Then, within those that don't you have a few people that train hard themselves... IMO, that should be changed. imaging the level of MA everywhere if all styles were known for hard training...

Just to clarify for DaChroniclez, Kyokushin does allow elbows in tournaments as long as it's not to the head. They also have to be "clean". A lot of people when they are tired tend to push more than strike with their elbows, and you can't push.

read what White Warlock wrote, memorize it. and add a ditto for about every person who knows what they are talking about as a reply.

And as far as elbows in the United States go, I fought in Vegas 2 years ago with Elbows :)

Generally the boxing commisions that overlook the sport dont allow it as they deem it too dangerous.

I completely disagree as the average boxer takes much more punishment in one fight then I would estimate a Thai Kickboxer takes in a dozen fights.

Elbows open up cuts easy and they look vicious, but when they land solidly its fight over, when they dont its usually a cut and it is more like the all bark and no bite saying...... too a point

• 2 weeks later...

1. we don't claim muay thai is the ultimate style - there is no ultimate style. It is a VERY good one though.

2. modern kyokushin has been influenced by muay thai. Some of what and how you are training came from the thai camps.

You're right, there is no ultimate style.

However, Muay Thai is the ultimate striking art. I doubt most of you would disagree. Most striking arts that have any chance against Muay Thai were all influenced by it such as Kyokushin and kickboxing.

I would disagree. there's no ultimate anything. As you may know, modern thaiboxing has been influenced heavily by western boxing. would that actually make boxing the ultimate striking art?

the reason thai boxing is 'so great' is because of its effectiveness (duh.) this comes from several aspects of the style- the training and conditioning of the fighters is as hardcore as it gets (sometimes too hardcore in thailand and the people destroy their own bodies in a few years.) second its that its techniques, while maybe not entirely complete by some standards, are all effective and devistating. besides, its not that hard to modify what you know for muay thai sport fighting into a street fight, where you push kick a knee or groin instead of abdomen, punch a throat when applicable, etc. to sum up: thai boxers are generally the best strikers in the world.

thai boxers are not recognized for being good punchers at all, except the more western influenced guys...

as for tearing up their bodies, I don't think that would be because of their training. In thailand, it's not uncommon for a fighter to fight once a week - that's why you have 21 year olds who have had 90+ fights. THAT'S why their bodies are torn up - they compete so much.

true- whenever i think of thai boxers i think of ones here in america, where they are influenced by western boxing. basically its boxing punch skills and everything else thai boxing.

come to think of it, thats probably why americans can beat thai boxers so readily (at least thats how it seems to me. whenever i hear about it- like on that mtv true life thing with master toddys fighters.)