• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just Starting - Need Advice

Like I posted in my welcome thread:

I am 15 years old. I do not have an instructor yet... But I will probably get one soon. Is there anything I can do to prepare or practice before? Any advice for a rookie? I was reading some principles behind martial arts. I read that you must throw more than just what you are hitting with into each strike.

Also, can someone help me decide on which martial art to choose? I prefer a combat type. But something good. What did Bruce Lee train in?

Also, I went into this one place around here that was rediculous. First of all they charge $105/month PLUS a $30 annual fee. I don't have that kind of money. The instructor seemed quite arrogant and conceited as well.

What is a reasonable price/instructor I should go for? Thanks.

Learner GoGoGo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The first style I learned was Tang Soo Do and my parents paid 1200 a year + gear/tests/tournaments etc..

Then I had 1 private instructor I paid for about 30 dollars a month (kind of a good faith thing) and 2 more private instructors that I didnt pay.

It really depends on the style and the instructor (if its not already a mcdojo) I would recomend watching a few classes to determine wether you feel that is the style you wish to study as well as if you feel the instructors are doing a good job.

For instance do they take the time to help correct students when they are not performing a techniuqe correctly etc..

As for getting ready to start martial arts? I would stretch daily, maybe start some jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups etc... to get yourself ready..

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

The first style I learned was Tang Soo Do and my parents paid 1200 a year + gear/tests/tournaments etc..

Then I had 1 private instructor I paid for about 30 dollars a month (kind of a good faith thing) and 2 more private instructors that I didnt pay.

It really depends on the style and the instructor (if its not already a mcdojo) I would recomend watching a few classes to determine wether you feel that is the style you wish to study as well as if you feel the instructors are doing a good job.

For instance do they take the time to help correct students when they are not performing a techniuqe correctly etc..

As for getting ready to start martial arts? I would stretch daily, maybe start some jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups etc... to get yourself ready..

Ok thanks for the advice! I am in Weight Training class at school so I do sit ups in there. I will do jumping jacks here at home though. I was fooling around earlier and I tried to do a high kick. Haha. What a joke, not only could I not reach that high but I also twisted my leg.

I was wondering how you get to be able to kick high? Thanks.

Learner GoGoGo

I was wondering how you get to be able to kick high? Thanks.

Lots of practice!!

If you stretch every day then your kicks will be able to become higher. Regular stretching and regular kicking practice are the only real ways to be able to kick high properly.

Sorry, but there's no 'magic way'. (lol, I wish there was, I'm naturally VERY inflexible and have found being able to reach high enough to kick someone in the head a long hard slog).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Regular stretching and regular kicking practice are the only real ways to be able to kick high properly.

I have to agree. I took a long lay-off between training. About 10 years (long story), but I still stretched everyday. Once I began training again, my form came back relatively quickly, but because I had stretched all along, I did not lose any height on my kicks. And, once I began to get my form back, I even noticed quite a bit of improvment on some of them. I am a firm believer that you can never stretch too much.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Regular stretching and regular kicking practice are the only real ways to be able to kick high properly.

I have to agree. I took a long lay-off between training. About 10 years (long story), but I still stretched everyday. Once I began training again, my form came back relatively quickly, but because I had stretched all along, I did not lose any height on my kicks. And, once I began to get my form back, I even noticed quite a bit of improvment on some of them. I am a firm believer that you can never stretch too much.

i was in a similar situation where i took some time off and didnt stretch, and ill tell you what i use to be able to have my 1 foot on the ground toes touching the wall and my other leg straight up against the wall but my heal touching it, now when i try that from being out of training and not stretching i can barely get halfway up there..

i would agree stretching is the best method and you can never do to much..

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

i was in a similar situation where i took some time off and didnt stretch, and ill tell you what i use to be able to have my 1 foot on the ground toes touching the wall and my other leg straight up against the wall but my heal touching it, now when i try that from being out of training and not stretching i can barely get halfway up there..

i would agree stretching is the best method and you can never do to much..

When you say you can never do too much, do you mean too much eachday or what? In other words, is it okay to just sit down and stretch for like an hour or will that hurt you?

Learner GoGoGo

i usually try stretching when i get up, then at night.. sometimes i stretch for 30min or an hour.. dont cut yourself short though hold a stretch for 20 seconds or so..

-SoulAssassin

i usually try stretching when i get up, then at night.. sometimes i stretch for 30min or an hour.. dont cut yourself short though hold a stretch for 20 seconds or so..

My routine is very similar. If I do a morning workout, then I stretch before and after the workout. Before to help warm-up the muscle (I know there are some different theories on this), and after because a warm muscle will stretch easier than a cold muscle. (again, there are some different theories).

Try to find a routine that you enjoy, and stick to it. And don't be afraid to really stretch. I often see students go through the motions. As long as it looks like they are stretching, it is good enough for them. If you are not actually stretching the muscle, then you are really gaining no benefit from it. While you are in your stretch, I believe it is okay for to experience some pain. Obviously there is a big difference between a good burning sensation while your stretching, and a pain that tells you that you have gone too far. Don't over-do it, but try pushing yourself a little past your comfort level, and then as SoulAssassin said, hold it for a good 20 seconds.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.