• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Muay Thai vs. JKD, Kail, Muay Thai

Howdy kids. So heres my dilema. Ive already bounced around a bit too much during my short time in MA.

6 months combo of KickBoxing, BJJ, JJ, and Judo. (MMA) All private lessons in a garage. I would have stayed there FOREVER but he moved away. :bawling:

6 moth Hapkido. A total McDojo. 75% of the class should not be afraid to hit the focus mitts and not the air. My only regret is that I didnt leave sooner.

3 months Kenpo. Liked it. But forms just arent for me. Please, no forms debates here. They may work for you and thats great. Just not for me.

14 months combo of Muay Thai, JKD, and Kali. Liked it alot. The teacher, styles, lots of good stuff. Been off for a few months for a shoulder injury but thats almost better.

The downside to this school, no sparring for about 2 1/2 years. That and when were arent doing Muay Thai, its not very aggressive. Ive got probably another 18 months to go to spar and its driving me nuts. In my first school we were doing light, controlled sparring. I really liked the agressive training @ that MMA school I was at. I also really beleive in aggressive training. For lack of better words, the "alive" concepts are something I really beleive in.

So now(finally) the comparison. The is an Muay Thai school that opened up near me a while back. I could be sparring in 2 - 4 weeks. For self defense, do you guys think it would be better to:

1; Do Muay Thai with sparring.

2; Do a combo of Muay Thai, JKD, and Kali with no sparring. (another 18 months)

I would say number 2 but I really hate when we arent training aggressively and playing patty cake with each other.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

it sounds to me like muay thai is more combat oriented. mt is all you need to become a great striker anyway, so if you learn it well, thats the place to be.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

It depends on the instructor. If he does good and effective drills, then you may not need sparring. Think of it in terms of football. A team that scrimmages alot but doesn't drill may not do too well. However, a team that drills alot and scrimmages once in a while will do alot more.

Perhaps if you disclosed the area that you live, someone could help you find what you are looking for.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

You have to go with what you want and enjoy. A good friend of mine is currently going to a school with Muay Thai, JKD and Kali and their training is similar to what you explained but with only a 6 month minimum before being allowed to spar. When I heard that I thought it was pretty long I start my students with light sparring as soon as I feel they are up to it. Either way take the one that you enjoy the most. GOOD LUCK

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

It depends on the instructor. If he does good and effective drills, then you may not need sparring. Think of it in terms of football. A team that scrimmages alot but doesn't drill may not do too well. However, a team that drills alot and scrimmages once in a while will do alot more.

Perhaps if you disclosed the area that you live, someone could help you find what you are looking for.

Valencia, Ca. Going outside of the Santa Clarita Valley isnt an option for me right now though. Out of curiosity, why do you think sparring may not be needed if we do effective drills?

Because effective drills instill habits. Most people don't know how to spar, they try to tag each other and "win" instead of taking what they are learning in martial arts and trying to apply it. So, because of this, I think sparring can be detrimental to most people.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.