• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ASE Kenpo Karate

Rhino

Hey all, I'm looking to continue my studies of karate in Columbia MO due to a relocation. There is no "reputable" Shorinryu intructors near me, but i did find this on google.

AKenpo Karate

705 Vandiver Dr. Suite E

Columbai, MO 65202 USA

573-875-3676

Tim Fancher

Anyone ever heard of it or the instructor?? Are there similarities to traditional Okinawan karate?

Never Quit, Never Give Up, Never Surrender.....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I found this info through Google (gotta love it! :lol: )

Tim Fancher, 3rd Deg. Black Belt

Style: Ed Parker's American Kenpo

Interesting...you can pay for classes afrom that website too.

It looks like there's a fair amount of Tracy Kenpo in MO also. From what I've heard, I'd avoid that if I were you, but Ed Parker's Kenpo is OK.

As for similarites between Okinawan Karate and Kenpo...sure, there will be some, but not a lot from what I've seen. Both use shorter, more natural stances, kata are totally different. Application of techniques are similar, but execution will be different. Same, but different. Like a Buick is a car..so is a Yugo. The same, but different.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

It looks like there's a fair amount of Tracy Kenpo in MO also. From what I've heard, I'd avoid that if I were you, but Ed Parker's Kenpo is OK.

Good advice! I don't know anything about ASE Kenpo, but check it out. They advertise as a practical self defense system. If it is a practical EPAK school, they will spar and often with different levels of contact. CHeck to see if they offer some form of grappling- either as a seperate part of the carriculum or extrapolated from the stand up techniques.

EPAK, as SS said, is from the same basic family, and bears many resemblances to Okinawan Kenpo. Both have a lot of flow, but EPAK has more hard moves, generally.

Tracy's is probably much closer to Okinawan systems. They are all flow. Their problem is (in my opinion) that they have little understanding, and their emphasis on flow sometimes detracts from techniques that were not designed to be used with uninterupted flow. The Tracy's started with Ed Parker, but left to more aggressively market the system long before it was complete enough (according to Mr. Parker). They did incorporate some Okinawan and Chinese forms intom their system after they left, but again without a good understanding of what they were doing.

Freedom isn't free!

Who is this Tracy you speak of? The name sounds familiar, but I'm not quite sure I can figure out why.

Parker is the only way to go, says a very unbiased source. :D

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

In Missouri you have Taikia Oyata, A true Okinawian master. If any of these are near you I would go here. https://www.kushu.com for more info on this style of KEMPO.

International RyuTe® Renmei Headquarters

Taika Seiyu Oyata

19105 E. 30th St.

Independence, MO 64057

816-795-8308

RyuShuKan

Academy of RyuTe®Kempo

Mike Minor

7519 N. Oak Tfwy.

Gladstone, MO 64118

816-436-2212

email homepage

Gossett Karate Academy

Bill Gossett

Liberty Landing Shopping Center

117 N. Main

Liberty, MO 64068

816-781-7414

St. Louis Area Ryukyu Kempo

Robby Collingwood

1608-B Brandon Park Drive

Manchester, MO 63021

(636) 225-1786

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

Kempo is a totally different animal from Kenpo. I know nothing about Kempo, so I won't say which is better. But, I just thought I would clarify for Rhino.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Who is this Tracy you speak of? The name sounds familiar, but I'm not quite sure I can figure out why.

http://www.tracyskarate.com/

The Tracy brothers left Ed Parker in the early days of the systems development. They wanted to more aggressively market the system, while Ed Parker did not think it was quite ready. They added some things from CMAs, I think from Jimmy Woo (don't remember for sure). Their system is Parker based, but it is early Parker, and they do quite a few things different. It is a good system, but it lacks the deapth of understanding and effectiveness that is in EPAK.

Freedom isn't free!

Thanks to all you guys, it's great to have found a forum like this.

Just clarify for me however, what is EPAK?

Also, I tried going to the website, it's not working, but I did check the site out for ASE Kenpo in Springfield MO. Looks like they also offer Brazilian Ju Jitsu.

Web sites are cool but dont judge the book by its cover go check it out. See if they offer a free lesson and take it if they do if not, then ask to sit in and watch a few of the classes to see if its for you.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!