• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Gradings in Jiu-Jitsu?

In some traditional schools there are "boards" which list the techniques required for each level and students work on their "boards" during class. Belt levels do vary by style but I believe most go white blue brown black.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"boards"? you're referring to jjj and not bjj, right? judo is like that as well. the only time you have to go before the board to test, however, is for black belt and any degree of black belt. We don't spend class time working specifically on board stuff though - we just train. we have our own curriculum based on usji guidelines of what should be on each rank test. In addition, we focus on modified techniques and competition oriented stuff.

The BJJ schools here based their promotions on tournaments. You had to do well in white belt competition to become a blue belt, well in blue belt competition to become a purple belt, purple belt competition for brown belt, and brown belt competition for black belt.

it's not like that where I train. similar, but not the same. A white belt can't even think about testing for blue until he can keep up with the blue belts all of the time and beat them at least some of the time. a blue can't test for purple until he can keep up with and beat the purple's. the same for the levels above that, but in addition, you will have to compete - making it a requirement that you can keep up with the level above you ensures progression. for the lower levels, competition is not a requirement, but most of us compete anyway.

From what I know BJJ is white-blue-purple-brown-black. I have a friend who trains in BJJ( a white belt) and that was the system used at the tournament he entered in December.

I don't know if this is the system used for all BJJ, but its the only one he or I know about.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

Where is Rocky Top?

Have you ever heard the song "Rocky Top" by John Denver? :D

Rocky is the hills of East Tennessee. I live in a small town, Cleveland TN, in South Eastern Tennessee.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

To be perfectly honest I don't know who the instructor is affilated with if anyone at all. I know the instructor has *no belt* because he has never tested for one officially....but he has done well in tournaments-he has made purple belts tap out. I imagine he would at least be a purple if not brown belt in BJJ if he tested. My friend is just a white belt.

Do all BJJ schools use the white-blue-purple-brown-black system? Or does it depend on the instructor?

Well I can't say for sure if talking about bjj out there (points to location, I am brazilian and live there :)), but I can state for sure the sistem in the place where I train.... It's:

White-Yellow-Orange-Green-Blue-Purple-Brown-Black [Note:If you're 16 you can automactly jump from white to blue]

About belt promotion... well my teacher/master/professor uses a system that I suppose that is equal in the hole town (Only two renowned places here to learn jiu-jitsu, others are run by less known teachers), the students don't do especifical tests, the teacher avaliates them trough the classes and when it's the graduation day he recieves his new belt, if he(the teacher) thinks the still student is still unprepared for "the next level", he gives you a(have no idea how to say it english)... let's say mark, a student can only recieve three marks, meaning that when the graduation day reaches and he already has three marks with that belt he must recieve another belt.

Atleast thats the way my teacher acts...

Note1: Hi everyone this is my first post, hello to all *waves*

Note2: I'm Brazilian so please excuse my grammar, spelling that are poor and probably confusing.

Note3: Where I live there practly are no dojos, but dojos in the real meaning of the word, since most martial arts classes take place inside academies (you know places where you can pull some iron).

Note4: I refer to my master as teacher because I call him "professor" meaning: Teacher. I don't believe we have tradition in calling our master master unless he asks so, for example there are certain people in the class that call my bjj master by name; but countering that, in the same academie there is a Hapkido teacher that preferes to be called master.

Note5: I like notes, don't we all do?