• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Gradings in Jiu-Jitsu?

I know it will vary from dojo to dojo, but what is used to grade students for belts. It's not that they matter to me, but I'd might as well know what to expect. I know in most arts, kata is a large part of it, but in the school I'm entering there is none. So, what will be used to grade me? I heard from a friend that sparring will be a big part of it, and since they don't limit you to Jiu-Jitsu techniques, I'll have a nice advantage.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Like you said it all depends on the dojo that you are at. You know you will not be spending time training on kata (forms) but you probably will have a series of techniques to learn per belt. A lot of schools of Jujitsu train these techniques in the form of tricks. Basically your just not going to learn a throw and practice that alone. For example you might have white belt trick #1 be a defense off of a right strike, using a left inward block, right strike to chest,basic sweep into a wrist lock. So during your training within each belt level you learn and perfect these tricks and ofcourse there should be a good amount of freestyle training and multiple attackers training using these tricks and your freestyle version of them. So if the school had what I listed above you could expect to be graded on how well you have perfected your tricks, how well you freestyle your techniques, and ofcourse sparring (stand up & ground).

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

It will vary on Dojo and Style of Jujitsu, however in the beginning of almost any style of jujitsu you will be graded on your rolls and falls primarily. Learning how to fall properly in jujitsu is extermely important :) You have to learn how to BE thrown before you can learn to throw\take down.

getting down to the basics is simple technique. if yopu have good technique then belt grading shouldnt be a problem.

with jujitsu we are doing flow drills which help you to change from one move to the next. that is the closest we really get to sparring untill we reach higher levels.

what type of jujitsu is it.

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

• 1 month later...

Depens on school but rolling is important, also strikes and kicks and moving.Maybe a cuople of locks. and mat techniques.

What hurts you but doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

• 2 weeks later...
dunno bout TJJ but in BJJ its white blue purple brown black, rarely red (not that even purple is all that common)

That's how it is where I train in BJJ- with no red. I have only been at it for 4 months, so I am a white belt. But the guys who have attained blue are pretty accomplished. The instructor puts very little emphasis on belts, since we don't really train as formal as some places. We rarely, if ever, train with our gi's so the belt concept isn't much of an issue. We have been told you will get a belt enhancement when the instructor feels you have mastered "what is expected of you" for that level. I think it pretty much means you have some techniques in your arsenal that can defeat people who are more seasoned than you on occasion. I have seen some of our white belts grapple with other dojo's purple belts, and our guys tap em out quick. I don't place any personal emphasis on belts. I don't care if I stay a white belt- as long as I can keep learning new stuff and can win my matches! :P A belt color means nothing if you haven't been able to apply your skills. Some dojos like to promote people through the ranks quick, because it makes people "happy". Heck, happy people equal good customers, right? But at the risk of making them happy and keeping them as clients, we are really cheating them by making them feel superior for no just reason. When they go to spar in a tournament or test against other dojos, they find out real quick just how much they earned that belt. When a TSD blue belt destroys another TSD red belt, that's a reflection on the instructor and dojo as a whole. It gives the red belt's dojo a bad reputation and their credibility goes down the tubes.

Mixed Martial Artist

• 3 weeks later...

The BJJ schools here based their promotions on tournaments. You had to do well in white belt competition to become a blue belt, well in blue belt competition to become a purple belt, purple belt competition for brown belt, and brown belt competition for black belt.

What works works

Do all BJJ schools use the white-blue-purple-brown-black system? Or does it depend on the instructor?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!