• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different Styles

Hi Everyone! I havne't said much lately so I wanted to know what yall thought about the differen't styles.

I understand there are a lot of differen't types of martial arts, do you think that there should be or do you have a problem with it? I mean I believe that most of them are really intresting. I understand that some are organizations wise, such as the WTF and the ITA.

Such as in the WTF I believe you have the open tournaments and such things like that. Such as in the ITA (which this is the organization I am in) We have closed tournaments, and our judges have to pass a test and be a certain rank and age to judge. Like we are yall black belts and above the age of 15.

I was just wondering on what all is out there and how yall all felt about it. I know this isn't a really good topic but I am wondering about it. :karate:

Sarah

Traninee Instructor

At Newton's Tae Kwon Do Plus

3rd Degree Black belt

South Carolina

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I'll be glad to throw my two cents in...

I have had limited exposure to many different styles outside of TKD. A tourny I attended last summer... well, let's just say I got my a** handed to me by a gentelman who practiced a style I still can't pronounce. At other times, I have faired quite well against some other styles. As far as forms are concerned, I love to watch some of the Chinese MAs. Some of their forms are fantasticly (is that a word?) fun to watch. The TKD forms, even my 1st & 2nd Dan forms seem very rigid and stiff when compared.... almost uncreative, if you will. As far as effectiveness, training techniques, or philosophies, I have had no exposure to them.

Just my two cents...

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Thanks a lot for that reply. I have been thinkin about trying a differen't style and just learn two differen't styles, but I am planning to open my own school so I am not sure. Thanks for your help.

Sarah

Traninee Instructor

At Newton's Tae Kwon Do Plus

3rd Degree Black belt

South Carolina

there is nothing wrong with cross training - I train in judo, bjj and muay thai currently. cross training may help you when you open your school, as you will have other experiences to draw from. I am an assistant coach in my thai boxing class. How can I tell my students how to defend a double leg, for example, If I've never faced one? There are several considertaions you should take before cross training, however.

Training in different systems is essential if one wants to be an effective martial artist. This doesn't mean, however, that all systems are worth training in.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.