• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Moved, need dojo

Rhino

More or less, that's what I've been doing. Everyone here that I've came into contact with is TKD. There is a kenpo dojo here, thought about checking it out. Any thoughts??

Google shows most "traditional" places well out of my area, ie Kansas City and St Louis.

Never Quit, Never Give Up, Never Surrender.....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More or less, that's what I've been doing. Everyone here that I've came into contact with is TKD. There is a kenpo dojo here, thought about checking it out. Any thoughts??

Google shows most "traditional" places well out of my area, ie Kansas City and St Louis.

Kenpo is a rather generic term...like karate or kung fu. Check it out...see if they'll let you take a couple of free classes. Check out the sensei's background a bit...even bring the info back here and see if anybody's heard of the guy or system. Start a new thread though, as not many watching this one I'll bet.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Thanks, i greatly appreciate your help. I'm going to do some "googleing" now, see if I can get some info to post on a new thread. Thanks again

Never Quit, Never Give Up, Never Surrender.....

Shorin Ryuu

I did go to that dojo. Turns out it was a man who was teaching for free out of his house. The dojo is a parking lot. I'm a Christian, when he started literally "forcing" me into Okinawan religion, I politely declined and left the dojo. I learned while I was there but, he didn't like the fact that God, my family and my church come before karate. So, I just continue doing everything I know already at home

Ah, that's too bad...

There was someone like that who really went off the deep end that used to be in my style (Shorinkan Kobayashi Shorin Ryu). Frank Hargrove was an excellent martial artist, but he let money, fame and all that get to his head and did a lot of dirty dealings and was subsequently kicked out of the style.

Later, at his dojo, he began to teach karate as a strange hybrid of Christian evangelism and martial arts, and last I heard, is in jail for tax evasion: Apparently he tried claiming his dojo was a church...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

hmmmmmm.......Frank Hargrove...why does that name ring a bell for me? :-?

I'll have to think on that one for a while. *insert grinding noise here*

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I dont care much for tkd either, but thats just my opinion. So tkd guys out there dont take that wrong.

what works for me, might not work for you

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Here's a link to Frank Hardgrove. Not the same Shorinryu I do...and not sure if this is where I've heard of him.

http://www.usashorinryu.org/Dojos/showdojo.cfm?ID=SN001

Yeah, Frank Hargrove was a Kobayashi Shorin Ryu guy. His website doesn't quite let you know this (he words it differently), but he was actually "cut" for doing some nasty financial tricks here and there involving the Kobayashi Shorin Ryu branch (Shorinkan) under Shuguro Nakazato. As I mentioned, I think he's in jail right now...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/