• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Moved, need dojo

Rhino

Hello, I studied Shorin Ryu Mastumura Orthodox Karate along with Konan Ryu for a while in the Navy. I got out in 2000 and now live in Columbia MO. Does anyone know of any instructors near me??? I tried TKD, hated it, nothing but a sport, just my opinion.

Never Quit, Never Give Up, Never Surrender.....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this is good or not, but this is what an internet search found...

Okinawan Shorinryu Karate

7281 E Southern Dr

Columbia, MO 65201-6923

Phone: (573) 814-2900

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Shorin Ryuu

I did go to that dojo. Turns out it was a man who was teaching for free out of his house. The dojo is a parking lot. I'm a Christian, when he started literally "forcing" me into Okinawan religion, I politely declined and left the dojo. I learned while I was there but, he didn't like the fact that God, my family and my church come before karate. So, I just continue doing everything I know already at home

Never in Okinawa, I studied under Sensei Chuck Chandler and Sensei Dan Buckner in Maryland.

OOPS...sorry, my misunderstanding. Bummer on the local Shorinryu guy.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I just want someone to teach me traditional Okinawan karate, with as little Americanization as possible. But I need for them to understand my spiritual beliefs. What I see more and more of is most dojo's, it's a business, they could care less about the person and their desires for martial arts, the instructors/owners just want your money.

I understand. I don't teach religion in my dojo. I leave that up to priests, rabbi, clergy, whatever. I'm there to teach karate, not religion.

Absolutly you need to place family and religion in front of karate, if you have those things in your life. If that other guy can't respect that, then you are right in not staying there.

I don't know of anybody in MO teaching Shorinryu...sorry.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Ok, then here is another question for you. Are there any other similar styles located in MO? I'm not interested in "sport karate". TKD was too much of that in my opinion.

Ok, then here is another question for you. Are there any other similar styles located in MO? I'm not interested in "sport karate". TKD was too much of that in my opinion.

Since all I've done is drive through Missouri once about 4 years ago, I have no idea what's there martial arts-wise. Your best bet is to go to Google and type in "martial arts, Missouri" and see what comes up. if the city you're in is larger, start askign around about instructors/schools. There are probably a lot of sensei teaching in their back yards and such. I don't care for the big commercial dojo with mirrors, juice bars..crap like that.