• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What size bo?

Kicks

Another reason for the taper is that in non-competition bo, it is actually meant to strike with the very end of the bo with less surface area. Either a thrust with the tip or a "slice" using rotation to "cut" with the outer circumference of the tip, if that makes sense.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• 4 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

An old article in MA Training suggests that the perfect height for a Bo is 3" taller than the person using it.

Don't know if it is true, but it works well for me. :brow:

OSU!

When I pick a Bo, I try to get one about a fist-lengh above my head.

Around 4'' taller than me I guess.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I just stick with the old-fashioned bo at 6 ft. On Okinawa, that was the height they cut the spears or other long weapons of the royal guards to make them de-bladed. This is perhaps where the notion of the Japanese imposing a weapons ban on the Okinawans came from. While there was a weapons ban a good many years in place before the Satsuma samurai even arrived on Japan (contributing largely to their swift victory), there were some exceptions. The samurai merely strengthened the weapons ban rather than imposed it where it did not exist. Therefore, 6 ft. was the "traditional" length.

You have to realize that 6 ft. was not a fist-length or a few inches above the heads of most Okinawans. For most Okinawans then (and many now), it could be well over a foot taller than them. Most people meeting Okinawan masters are still struck at how short they are (despite the mostly accurate pre-conceived notion of their shortness in general which holds true more for the older generation). Yet they practice with a 6 ft. bo, all the same. The jo, on the other hand, tends to be more personalized to their heights. But I figure if they can do use a 6 foot bo, I might as well do my best...

Granted, there are many different bo traditions out there. I'm just sticking with this one. (Get it? Stick? Um...nevermind...)

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Fair enough.

6foot is only about 2in above my head,

but its hard to get a generic (ie-non customised) Bo at any length other than 6' from most MA supp stores.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Shureido also offers a six foot five inch bo for us taller people.I have been using one of those for many years.My kobudo system recommends a bo to be one fist taller than the user.

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi

• 6 months later...

Shureido has a 6.5 foot bo? Well thats good ot know. I dont need it now but in a couple of years (hopefully i'll remember) i will be a high enough belt rank to start training with a bo and i will probably get that as i am 13 now and 6 feet tall, but i think i'm starting to slow down growing. I kinda like rattan weapons as far as wood ebcause they are average weight but strong and durable towards like water and stain and htat kinda stuff, as long as you get one with the bark/skin still on.

Focus