• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What size bo?

Kicks

My son is 5'4". What size bo should I get him for demostration and competition purposes? Is 6' too long?

We already have several Jo staffs for practical seld defense demostrations that we use. I am wondering about the proper size in order to do all that flashy, twirling, non-practical stuff that I know a lot of you don't like. But heh, to each is own. Right?

I have seen tha red oak is popular and read on this forum that purpleheart or ash is another good choice. It's even been suggested to consider um, aluminum, or plastic. So the range of material is wide. If all of these are suitable, then cost and availability would weigh into the decision.

This page shows a good compariason: http://www.murasakikobudo.com/pages/whypurple.html

Thanks for any input.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah, I've bought stuff from Murasaki and I've always been pleased.

Anyway, purpleheart is good, but is simply more expensive.

As far as six feet being too tall, you have to remember that short Okinawans use six foot long bo all the time. On the other hand, a lot of people suscribe to the inch or two or three above the head rule in deciding what height should be used.

Probably the best for what you are looking for and for your son is to get one more close to his height, as it would be a bit easier for him to manipulate.

As far as weight goes, ash is pretty light, gets more smooth the more you work with it, doesn't warp as much, but does not take impact very well. This might make it a pretty decent choice for you. Plus, it is cheaper cost-wise.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

....in order to do all that flashy, twirling, non-practical stuff that I know a lot of you don't like. But heh, to each is own. Right?.

DING DING DING DING DING....AAAAAAA OOOOOOOOO GAAAAAAA!!!!! (that's my flashy, twirling, non-practical alarm going off. :D

Well, my bud Shorin Ryuu up there about covered it. Depending on the type of tournament your son is going to participate in kicks, I wouldn't recommend getting to light of a bo...like a broom stick, as I would make those weapons down before ever seeing their performance. Just a standard I set right off the bat.

Length-wise, I'd go with around 5'6" for the lad. Not light, but not real heavy either. Some middle-weight I would think would be best. Watch the circumfrence also, as his hands are going to be smaller htan an adults. Try not to go over 1" if possible.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

If you can afford it consider buying two. A heavier, traditional bo for forms work, training, and tournaments where he would do traditional forms and a lighter bo for use in open weapons tournaments. The heavier bo will build strength in the arms and the lighter bo will give him speed at tournaments. As for size I would not go over 5'6 especially for the lighter bo since that is the one that would be used for the flashy stuff. Don't waste money on the super-light demonstration bo's unless/until he gets good enough that they would make a difference in his speed. Pay attention to the grip size as Shorinryu Sensei noted above. Most companies make smaller diameter bo's for younger hands.

Res firma, mitescere nescit

I am the same height as Kick's son and I find my five and a half foot long octagonal hickory bo suits me just fine. I am basically a traditionalist but will admit I play with it on occasion and it does twirl well. But when I do the basic hard snapping techniques with it it fells great in my hands.

steveb,

I like your idea of using a heavier staff to build strength. Currently we are working with sai, which I feel is building some strength too. At the dojang we go to there are a bunch of the heavy jo staffs, even a few heavy metal ones. We can train with those too to bulid strength. What other exercises could we do if we don't have access to those jo staffs?

You also said "Pay attention to the grip size as Shorinryu Sensei noted above. Most companies make smaller diameter bo's for younger hands." His hands are just a little smaller than mine (he's 16 yo), placed against each other , his middle finger is about 1/2 shorter than mine. So I don't know if that is an issue. But that's why I'm here; to ask others who might know.

Edited by Kicks

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

To build strength and speed in your bo/jo technque you don't need steel bo or anything elaborate. You just need a good, heavy, solid hardwood bo/jo and many, many repetitions of the correct basic techniques. This will build and strengthen everything from your stance...upwards.

I operate on the K.I.S.S. system.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Just like working on yoru basic empty hand blocks/strikes or kicks...repetition is the key to speed and power.[/b]

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

OK guys, this is what I've come up with, so far:

My long lost cousin has a Karate school up in Main. He also teaches the Kobudo arts and has several world class weapons students. He says he orders hi Bos from Century and he recommend the ash wood. He says that his student use a Bo that no taller than themselves, but above the chin. He says that often in shipping the Bo arrive with split or busted ends, so he orders a little longer than required and trims and sands it to meet their needs.

So, since my son is 5'4", and growing, I think I'll get him the 5'6" Competition Bo from Century. See http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=64616&langId=-1&product_parentId=13653&crumb=13501-13524&categoryId=13653&parent_category_rn=13526

Does anybody have expierence with this Bo?

added:

Also, what's with the "toothpick bo". What are they and are they worth looking into?

i thought that was just a nic name for what your'e getting. y'know, cuz it's really thin and light, and will probably snap if you hit anyone with it. i have one myself, though, from when i was wee, and it hasn't warped yet, and its held up pretty well. even survived a house fire. so it's great for what it is.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• 2 weeks later...

I assume you're refering to the toothpick shape of the bo, with both ends tapered. I think this is so you can twirl it faster*. I train with a tapered staff, but have been twirling with a broom handle for 4 years on and off.

It's a matter of preference.

*Moments of a turning force, if another staff was same weight but uniform it would be harder to accelerate it. In the same way, at the point of striking it will apply less force.

World famour for idiotography

6th Kyu Wado Ryu

5th Gup Tang Soo Do

1st Dan Origami