• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ranking question

That makes sense. What about sparring? If a black belt comes into a new school as a white belt - who will he/she be paired with? Hopefully not another white belt...

Heh, that happened to me. An instructor at another school started me at Blue Belt. First he had me spar Blue Belts. Not to boast-no contest!

Each training day, he would have me spar the next highest rank. Within 4-5 training days, he had me sparring his "Dan" Black Belts.

Now the kicker, I still wore the Blue Belt! Man, you should have seen the "faces" on those Black Belters.

Finally, that instructor confessed to them that i had other experience.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Certainly, they would spar with everyone white-black....I would expect that they would conduct themselves in a manner befitting a BB when up against the lower ranks though.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I think it would vary depending on what style you take, and what style the newcomer came from. For example, we got a Tae Kwan Do brown belt coming into our studio, and my instructor let him wear his brown belt at first. After a few days, my teacher analyzed his skills and put him down at an orange belt.

So, he could fight well, but he didn't exactly know much pertaining to Kenpo. Had he been from a style such as Kung Fu or one of the predecessors to Kenpo, he may have done better. I probably would be pretty bad at TKD (though I do love to kick).

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

A friend of mine is an instructor in a MA different from mine. Eventhough I did not "join" his dojo, I would attend some of his classes just to work out with them. I wore my BB but I would always line up in the last position on the last row.

Train like your life depends on it....Because it does.

I think it would vary depending on what style you take, and what style the newcomer came from. For example, we got a Tae Kwan Do brown belt coming into our studio, and my instructor let him wear his brown belt at first. After a few days, my teacher analyzed his skills and put him down at an orange belt.

So, he could fight well, but he didn't exactly know much pertaining to Kenpo. Had he been from a style such as Kung Fu or one of the predecessors to Kenpo, he may have done better. I probably would be pretty bad at TKD (though I do love to kick).

Good point

My instructor allows belt from other style unless the person wants to join the school then they are reconized at an appropriate rank. This differs for black belts who he allows to keep their bb mostly out of respect, that and he relizes that as master jules says a belt is for holding up your pants.

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

Even though i'm pretty much going to agree with everyone else, i'm still going to weigh in.

In my area, we all study practically the same system, so a belt is almot interchangable. if a student earns a black belt in one school, then goes somewhere else, he's almost always allowed to keep it, unless he's from a completely different or rival school.

Underbelts will mostly have to start lower or at white belt. I had two kids come to my school once from a rival school, claiming that they were green belts in thier style, however they didn't even act like white belts from my school. one always forgot his belt, the other told me that she didn't have to listen to me becuase i wasn't her instructor. i demoted both to white belt. i let them where their green belts, but made them line up in the back. needless to say, they didn't come back the next week.

that sounds pretty harsh when i read that, but it didn't seem harsh at the time.

has anyone else ever required a student to line up behind the white belts? or how did you discipline a student who consistently forgot a belt?

We just don't have belts at my school. Thus, we don't have belt-rank related problems.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

has anyone else ever required a student to line up behind the white belts? or how did you discipline a student who consistently forgot a belt?

Yes, the "outside belter" will not hold a higher "rank status" than our own. They may "look" like it, but they are not. A student that forgets their bekt, probably really doesn't have that rank.

Some systems that I had trained, disregard the rank. There isnt any such colored belt or sash.