pentaxphoto

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here of Stephen K. Hayes??? http://www.skhquest.com Those of you that think Ninjitsu is a joke, why don't you go and ask him to fight? I haven't myself studied it but I got books and looked into it. That style has ALOT of practical uses. Plus if you get to I think its 4th or 5th degree Black Belt you will learn how to "see" the attack coming, wtihout actually seeing it with your eyes. The way to test ninja's of that level of skill in Ancient Japan was to stand behind him while he meditaded, with a sword raised above his head. And at any given moment slash down. If he was really at the 4th-5th degree level he would roll away unharmed, and well think of what would happen if he didnt roll... But since people kept dying when they failed teh test they started using wodden Boken instead so if you failed it would give a bad headache(I am fairly sure htey still use those methods today, quote me if I am wrong)

Ninjitsu isn't all what Hollywood makes it out to be. They train alot in self defence, gun\knife disarment(spell check) and also I think that if you want you can start learning about the ancient methods as well, poisons, explosives, etc. etc. etc. Also I am fairly sure that the military trains some in Ninjitsu as well mostly for stealth and that kinda thing. And I always say, "Don't dis it till you've tried it(for more then one class)" Unless "it" is something like crack, or meth, or heroine, etc. Cause that WILL ruin your life.

Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate....

Treebranch and I both trained in togakure ryu ninjutsu (taijutsu, whatever). Not sure if there is anyone else in this community that has studied. Most people who have studied ninjutsu are pretty well used to the jokes, the snide remarks, the comments about how pirates pwn ninjas, and all the other fun stuff. I could care less, for it is merely something i studied, not something i invested in. However, others could take offense.

Seeing as we don't know what some people in this community practice, it's not all that easy to ridicule in return... and so the jokes get kind of old.

Of course, hollywood hasn't helped one bit. Putting people into ninja outfits, multicolored, running around in black in the middle of the day, or white in the middle of the night... these are ignorant directors making a buck off of a silly theme. B-rated movies, as far as i'm concerned. Sho Kosugi played a ninja in one movie, i can't recall the name of. It was rather well done, but still a tad over the top.

Modern-day practitioners of ninjutsu study more than just hand-to-hand combat. In many ways, it is also an evolving system... changing with the times and the available technology. Anyone who stays traditional with ninjutsu studies is being cute, but not realistic.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I've studied Ninjitsu for 17 years. Master Julian, my teacher, studied it for 60 years before his death. I am currently teaching it in Philadelphia and have about 5 students so far. I haven't read this entire thread but I'm sure there are plenty of misconceptions of the art within. It is a very well rounded art if you truly understand it that can be used even in todays society and in a real life engagements. As WW stated, it has advanced with the times but everyone thinks we are people running around in pajamas.

If anyone has any serious questions about the art I'd be more than happy to assist.

and pirates don't pwn Ninjas. :D

Ninjitsu has to be cool, after all the ninja turtles studied it and they were awsome. come on, all of us that grew up watching the original ninja turtles wanted to learn martial arts.

Anyway, I say go for it. You should see if the school is a good school first though.

• 1 year later...

I've been studying ninjitsu for quite a few years now and to tell you the truth, it's been one of the better styles that I've come across.

it is what the ninjas learned to kill other people. :evil:

i dont need it to kill people but to defend myself. :dodgy:

As far as killing goes, ninjitsu is more of a technique to evade...not kill. The chinese word "ninja" or "nin-sha" is actually pronounced "shinobi" in japanese which refers to espionage. Their job wasn't to assassinate or murder, but collect information and sabotage operations. So in truth, all martial arts techniques are "killing" techniques no matter what the teachings are. It just depends on how you use it.

If you want to learn any style of martial arts, you need to first research it. Find out where it came from, how it was traditionally used, and what it's implications are. Please don't use biases/prejudice thoughts, rumors, or stereotypes to determine your choice.