• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was meditating...

ok-ok, i was sitting on th... never mind. Point is, Iwas thinking deep thoughts.

One of the common topics when martial artists talk is why black belts often get their butts handed to them on the streets. Even if you discount the McClowns who ordered theirs at the fast belt place, it happens often enough. And, the question we allways ask is, "Why?"

I was reminded of something from my long gone youth. I was a distance runner in school, and a pretty good one. I ran the mile in the 4.20's, as well as Cross Country and the 2 mile, and competed off and on in other distance events. But I was out with a street friend, a tough kid who smoked like a chimney and only really moved fast when he was in trouble. Any way, we were running for some reason (don't remember why :roll: ), and I was having trouble staying with him! This was a shock to my system, let me tell you! How?- why?- What th'... :-?

The answer is simple. From a cold start, in street clothes, without warm up or mental preparation, and in his environment, things were far different from what I'd trained for. I eventually settled in and passed him.But, had someone been caught in the early stages of our "exercise", it would have ben me!

The analogy to martial arts should be obviouse- if you plan to use it in the real world, you'd better train under real world conditions. Otherwise, you may find yourself loosing in a situation where there is no catching up!

Gotta go. I feel another thought comeing on! :D

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its kind of like Yogi Bera's quote "Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."

Well he got the 90% mental part right anyway.

I think the same concept applies to the street. You can be proficient and know what to do, but the person that has the street mentality has an edge on the street.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I think you are correct in your thinking. Once upon a time in Arizona, I would work with my students once a week in normal "street" clothes. We would practice outside under lower light conditions in the parking lot. I don't think you could ever cover every scenario but you have to be able to function outside the dojo when you're not wearing a gi.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Alot of MA training is conducted under very unrealistic conditions. This has been a problem for a long time. The distances used between students during one step and free sparring is not what you'll find on the street. The speed of a street fight is different from that of sparring as well. There are other areas but I'll keep this post short. I require outside training and training in street clothes and shoes as well. Also, I will bring in large boxes and have them scattered around the mat to simulate furniture, by-standers, bar stools, etc. Realism is a must in training.

Train like your life depends on it....Because it does.

I think you are correct in your thinking. Once upon a time in Arizona, I would work with my students once a week in normal "street" clothes. We would practice outside under lower light conditions in the parking lot. I don't think you could ever cover every scenario but you have to be able to function outside the dojo when you're not wearing a gi.

That is something we should all do every once in a while :karate:

My first sanshou training felt really weird since I didnt use my gi. I guess it is beacuse one has to "think outside the box"

Read a book!

My master is a little eccentric.....we have pool stick training day.....bat day.....stuff like that......its more or less him just attacking me with anything he can get his hands on....lol

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

My master is a little eccentric.....we have pool stick training day.....bat day.....stuff like that......its more or less him just attacking me with anything he can get his hands on....lol

OUCH!!!! :o That must be pretty good training...working as a bodyguard/bouncer must be like a day of compared to that.

Read a book!

Superleeds.....Thats the point......he makes training so insane that anything else really is like a "day off"......his philosophy is that since I have those jobs....he finds anything that I may be attacked with in that scenario and attacks me full force.....that way when it happens in "real life", which it does, Im so used to it that Im able to act and react without thought, and remain calm and focused.....yeah....it does hurt like hell though.....lol

Many years ago, while going through Sanchin kata for one of my black belt tests, he cracked an escrima stick on my ribcage, along with two of my ribs......now I dont know about you, but Ive never seen an escrima stick break.......then, with two cracked ribs, he was generous enough to make me fight only 15- 3 minute rounds.....no pads, and FULL contact..... :P .......I think I slept for about 20 hrs or so afterwards :D

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"