• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Controlling adrenaline shakes....

there are 2 types of adrenaline. the kind you get from being excited, inspired, angry,and happy, and the other type is the type you get from pure fear.

when you are confronted with by an opponent that you seem to be scared of, try to think of him more as another obstacle to overcome in your training. when you do this, your fear adrenaline which freezes you and makes you wobbly, will turn into excitement adrenaline, which is an extremely powerful weapon and raises all of your senses.

Umm, no. there is only one type of adrenalin.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow...here's the deal with adrenalin. There is only one type of adrenalin. It is sent into the bloodstream courtesy of the good ol "fight or flight" mechanism. It is purely INVOLUNTARY. Meaning, you cannot shut it off and stop it from happening. Why? Millions of years of human evolution says that is the case. I think what people are trying to say is you can "keep it in check", or you can make it work for you. I have been in many situations where I have had the shakes. Those are mainly unknown situations where I am about to get into a fight with someone or when I am doing something that poses a risk of serious injury (or death!) The shakes usually occur after the incident, as I am "coming down" from the dump. During it, you can experience cold and clammy skin, reduction of fine motor skills, and tunnel vision. Your heart pumps like it is in your throat and there is that feeling in your back like your kidneys are gonna explode. If you don't get the shakes after an adrenalin dump, then you didn't really have one. Bottom line. There is no way to physiologically avoid those symptoms if you were in a true fight for your life/safety. If you have never been in that situation, you don't know what a true adrenalin dump is. Many of us have felt the mild anxiety when you spar or compete. But that is a very minor infusion of adrenalin. Do some get the shakes? Sure. Can you control the shakes after the "A" courses through you? No. Can you control your anxiety and relax during or before you get the "A"? Yes. However, during a true street fight or other uncontrolled situation where you are leaping into the dangerously unknown, you don't have time to meditate or do pushups. You have to make the adrenalin work for you. How? You use it's generation of extra strength and large motor skills. Don't try to manipulate small joints like fingers or try to grasp shorter hair. Chances are you'll miss or not have the result you want. Stick to heavy punch and kick combos, use the extra alertness and time slow-down that happens during such a situation. After you're done, be prepared to shake. It doesn't mean you are afraid. It means you are human, and we all have to deal with it. In controlled environments, it CAN be controlled and its effects reduced by deep breathing and other calming exercises. But in the street, just go all out for your life and collapse after you kick butt. :D

Mixed Martial Artist

It is purely INVOLUNTARY. Meaning, you cannot shut it off and stop it from happening. Why? Millions of years of human evolution says that is the case.

That's rather like calling your heart rate "invoulentary"; adrenal release is something which can be controlled both through controlling the stimuli that your brain and body use to trigger the release and, likely, through direct control (given enough bio-feedback training).

If you don't get the shakes after an adrenalin dump, then you didn't really have one.

Not entirely true. If you continue exertion after the "chemical dump" is over, you may exaust the shakes before you feel them... but yes, it is a very common response to suh high stress levels.

It is purely INVOLUNTARY. Meaning, you cannot shut it off and stop it from happening. Why? Millions of years of human evolution says that is the case.

That's rather like calling your heart rate "invoulentary"; adrenal release is something which can be controlled both through controlling the stimuli that your brain and body use to trigger the release and, likely, through direct control (given enough bio-feedback training).

Your heart rate can be controlled, but it is your heartbeat that is involuntary. But that's like comparing apples to oranges. It is the reaction to adrenalin that can be controlled, not the actual release of it. Bio feedback training is a form of meditation. Now Jerry, I am not doubting what you say. You make good points. But I want to know if you have ever really been in a true life/death situation. All the biofeedback in an unpredictable situation like that will do you NO GOOD. I have been in a few, and let me tell you this: you cannot control it in that situation. Yes, if you continue exertion after the dump, you may be less inclined to get the shakes, but they will still occur in some degree. You simply cannot compare the ability for a pro fighter to control his adrenalin reaction in the ring to an average Joe fighting with a guy who has a knife or gun in the street. Two different types of mental concentration and reaction come into play. When you step into a ring to fight, you know that (in most sparring situations that are controlled with rules) the worst thing that can happen to you is you can get knocked out, or you will lose. Death is usually not on that person's mind. But if you are walking through a parking lot and a guy comes up to you and pulls a knife on you, and asks for your wallet, you may think you will die a violent death, get cut bad, lose your hard earned cash, etc. That produces a much different effect on your body, trust me. I don't care how much biofeedback you do, you will get seriously amped. And if you don't, then you are not putting yourself at an advantage. Adrenalin can work for you in those situations- it is not a bad thing, and neither are the shakes.

Mixed Martial Artist

Does anybody have any theories or methods for controlling adrenaline shakes? Just recently I was talking with somebody about some headcase in the area who "allegedly" assaulted a family friend, and just thinking of getting into a defensive situation with this person (which is a real possibility) had me shaking from adrenaline. So is it best to use an adrenaline rush, or to try to control it? How?

experience man..

period end of story.

you have to get used to dealing with the changes that come with an adrenaline rush.

you have to learn how to continue functioning with the adrenaline rush.

you have to get used to working with an adrenaline rush.

if you dont practice it then you wont ever have full control(for lack of a better term) over it.

to practice it you dont even have to fight necessarily.

just do things that you are uncomfortable doing.

one thing that will help you alot(trust me it sounds stupid but try it)

if you are shy at all, then go to complete strangers and start a conversation.

preferably do it to attractive women.

you will get an adrenaline rush and once you learn to maintain your edge through that you will be much better off dealing with it in a fight.

now of course the better method is to have some form of fight where your adrenaline goes on you and you have to deal with it, but this is just so much more fun :)

i used to get the shakes, there's only one way they can be beat: confidence. today two seniors came up to me and tried to make fun of me. I just came right back at them with insults of my own, I was impressed with myself. All I needed to do was remember my training, there's nothing to be afraid of in a fight, you will live, win or lose, all you will feel is pain. You just need to remember that, you need to know that you are in control of yourself, and whoever is trying to give you trouble is weak, because they must be to be giving crap to you. Just know you're better, and tell them they are wasting your time. Confident, keep confident!

Ju Jitsu

Kenpo

Pressure Point Fighting

Capoeira

dont be so confident you overlook the gun his buddy shoves into your back and lights you up.

I couldnt disagree more with your assessment on how to handle it.

confidence is a byproduct of experience, and if you are just going off of thinking you can handle things, then you have a great possibility of ending up on the wrong end of a bad train wreck

you wont always live in a fight, plenty of people die every day in fights.

people who threaten you are not usually weak, usually its the opposite, and if you dont have the skills necessary your finished.

also its probably not a good idea to shout/speak/ say insults back to multiple people who are starting an issue with you unless you are really looking for the fight.

I wouldnt call that confidence so much as i would call it you wanting to fight for whatever reasons you have.

Well put, Lucky. There are not many people here (I think a vast minority) who have actually been in a true life or death situation. Being taunted by seniors at a high school doesn't count. Having the kid in your dojo challenge you to a controlled sparring match? Nope. Being out with 10 of your buddies and having some other kids at the movie theater call you a bunch of sissies? Ahhh, no. Walking out of a bar and having a tattooed ex-con stick a semi auto in your face and demand money or he'll kill you? Yes. Standing in a convenience store as 2 masked gunmen with shotguns come running in and yelling at everyone to hit the ground? Uhhh...YES. If you think you can control the adrenalin in those situations....you need to wake up, little boys. Either that, or have someone check your toe tag, cos you are already dead.

Mixed Martial Artist