• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Controlling adrenaline shakes....

Does anybody have any theories or methods for controlling adrenaline shakes? Just recently I was talking with somebody about some headcase in the area who "allegedly" assaulted a family friend, and just thinking of getting into a defensive situation with this person (which is a real possibility) had me shaking from adrenaline. So is it best to use an adrenaline rush, or to try to control it? How?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's an experience thing. One good way is full contact sparring. you train to defend yourself, but until you've really been hit a few times, people still tend to have a hint of doubt in the back of their minds. That hint of doubt is magnified 100 fold when adrenaline rushes.

If it happens when you're just standing around thinking about this guy, do something physical: push ups, punches, etc., and that will expel the energy.

Train like your life depends on it....Because it does.

One thing that seems to work for me is doing basic breathing and internal focusing exercises, which can be done while working on a physical exercise. though you know I can't honestly remember when I had my adrenaline pumping like that, where I had to work to gain control over myself. but those are what I used to get myself back under control.

The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war.

The Winner is the one who makes the fewest mistakes.

I take all of the adrenaline, imagine it as a ball of light in my center (as theorized in Aikido). It seems to help a bit. I meditate if there is time, and then I am relaxed, calm, and ready to do some damage.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

notice he asked how to deal with it in a self defense situation. in such a situation, you won't have time to do pushups, meditate or any of the other things mentioned here. As I said, it's an experience thing. full contact sparring will help.

actually the question was about how to controle adrenaline shakes, and also whether or not you should try to use an adrenalin rush or control it.

I do happen to agree with you sevenstars nobody really has time to sit and do a proper meditation or any exercise for that mater. But I also happen to agree with JeetKuneDo that meditation does not take alot of time to perform. what I mean and what I failed to explain in my previous post is that when I said that I would do breathing exercise and internal focusing exercises, is that this is training that I included in my overall workout. ie. incorperating them in basic drills, kata, sparring, monkey line, etc. so that like any other aspect of my karate I could utilize it in combate without thought. being able to focus your mind, body, soal and emotions are all things that can be done and done with out thought if you train them to do so and train them properly. Now I will not say that I have perfected this but I have found that I haven't had a cause of the shakes in a very long time.

I would also have to say to your the question, that you should always strive for the control of your body. which does not mean that the adrinalin rush will not be there, it just means that you will not lash out or do something that you shouldn't or that you did not mean to.

The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war.

The Winner is the one who makes the fewest mistakes.

Meditation doesn't necessarily take a lot of time. One can clear the mind rather quickly...

It can take more time than you have, especially in an unexpected situation. you're walking to your car, I blindside you. you've already been hit, now in addition to dealing with pain, sudden adrenaline rush, etc. you are trying to fight me AND clear your mind at the same time?

Also, depending on how long you've been training, it may not happen rather quickly at all. you have to be able to clear your mind under pressure. learning how to do that goes back to my suggestion...sparring.