• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

learning multiple forms at once

I'm a complete beginner to martial arts and I'm wondering: Is it a bad idea to learn more than one form of martial arts at the same time? My university offers courses on a wide variety at some awesome prices and I'm thinking about taking both Shotokan and Jujitsu classes next semester. From what little I know about each, they seem very different and I plan to learn about punches/kicks from Shotokan and more about in-fighting from Jujitsu. Would it be like trying to learn Spanish and French at the same time (difficult) or would it be significantly more difficult?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you insist on taking two different martial arts to start with, then I think Shotokan and jujutsu would be far enough apart so as not to interfere with your learning of either. Of course, this all depends upon you and your learning capacity. Try it and see how you do. If you have trouble drop the one you like least.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Depending on the instructor, there is some ground fighting/throws in Shotokan.

If I were you, I'd take up one art for, at least, a year to get a good base. Then try/add something else. But the two are fairly different, so it wouldn't be difficult to study both.

Laurie F

If you have the time do both,those two styles would blend together nicely.If it becomes a problem...drop one,but I think you'll like both and value each as it's own.

BJJ is very fun to train in,always rolling. :D

Demons live in the shadows of this world where the uncritical mind fails to shine the light of reason.

Be nice to animals.

go for it...and remember to have fun. after a while you will have a good feel for which style fits you, then pursue that one.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the input. I think I'll try it, and if it's too much then I'll just drop one. I like what I know about each - so which one I drop will depend more on the instructor I wind up with and how much I like him/her...