• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What styles cross over the belt on the back?

I was always taught to "put it on so u don't fall over it". Because I was a dead skinny 7 year old when I started. But as I got oder I learned the "single strap" way of doing it and just thought it looked and felt better.

I have since been told that it is actually meant to be an insult to your instructor to have it crossed at the back - but as I had to tell my instructor that this was the case - I don't think he was too bothered.

My pet hate is people that can't tie their belt in any other way than it falling off every 20 seconds - that winds me up - scruffy little ****'s!

i think a half-decent appearance is a sign of respect for the people you train with!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you think not crossing over is part of a half decent appearance?. you wrote "I have since been told that it is actually meant to be an insult to your instructor to have it crossed at the back" this is interesting , anybody else heard something like this?

I've never heard of it being an insult. I only knew the cross over in the back method for long time, when i was introduced to the not-cross over in the back method, i liked it better. feels more comfortable.

mark me as another vote for personal preference.

I just think very highly of my belt and respect to its fullest because of the work that i did to earn it. i always take special care of it to honor it and my instructors. i don't consider a cross to be an insult, but i think it is to see a sloppy tie, or a belt drug on the floor. oh and i hate to hear 'where's my belt?'

seems like i get off topic on every post, eh?

If the instructor is insulted by such a silly thing, I'd look for a new instructor.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

If the instructor is insulted by such a silly thing, I'd look for a new instructor.

IF we all look back at my post I said that my instructor didn't have a clue it was an insult.

I believe it came from the old traditions that it was an insult. Like 99% of tradition...it has ben lost in the western version of things. Not that I'm a traditionalist.

and to answer PAL's question - I'm not particularly bothered if ppl I teach tie it crossed - as long as it is tied somewhere like how it is meant to be- IF I open my own club, I will teach how to do it right. Until then - it's not my problem!

IF we all look back at my post I said that my instructor didn't have a clue it was an insult.

I didn't imply that he did. It's only an insult if it actually does insult a person. I doubt your instructor sees it as an insult, even after being "informed" that it is.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.