• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What styles cross over the belt on the back?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of us tie ours with it crossing in the back. Some don't. I like the way it feels crossed as I can keep my belt more loose around the waist than when I wind it around. If you tie a proper knot it stays together and I find it more comfortable.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

In my style, 1st gup and below would cross it in the back, 1st dan and up would tie it in the single belt fashion. I was never sure of the reasons behind it, other than tradition.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

I was hoping someone has knowledge (or pictures) of the old way of doing this in Okinawa. In some pictures it seems to be a short obi that goes from back to front and there is no need to cross two times.

My first instructor was an old Korean TKD Master. He taught me how to tie it so that it does not cross in the back. I have since either trained in or have visited several other schools over the last decade or so, and almost always I see everyone with it crossed over in the back. Doesn't matter to me.

Once school however, a Wado-Ryu school even had a belt tying ceremony that all the students had to go through when entering the training floor!! :roll: The way they did it resulted in the belt not being crossed over in the back, but it was still a different method than what I do. In fact I never did figure out exactly how they were doing it.

Please just let my tie my belt as I was originally taught, and I promise not to care how anyone else does it.

RFB

I don't like to see belts crossed over. I think it looks sloppy. ... but not as sloppy as people that have theirs turned over at the back! But I wouldn't say anything to people that did cross it over, it's just a pet peeve.

I hate it if my own belt crosses over... and then if we have to do sit-ups - ow!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

mine crosses in the back and the front

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi