• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What styles cross over the belt on the back?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also in particular , how they’ve been doing this in Okinawa? I have a Kenshinkai sensei who cross over the belt. Do you know any other styles?

I don't believe that it's specific styles that crosses, or dosen't cross, their belts in the back...it's just the way that you tie your belt. My belt crosses in the back only because I don't take the time, nor see the need for, to do it nice and pretty so that it looks like one belt. I have better things to do than worry about that.

Individual choice I would imagine.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I second the motion......remember....it aint a fashion show....just get on the mat and train....

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

The reason I asked was an incident happened to me, out of no where my Jap. Style sensei told me this is a lousy way of putting belt on, and started to correct it for me like I don’t know how to do it, I told him that with all do respect some of the styles do cross over then he got angry and said” how many years I lived and tripped to Japan?” “I have never seen cross over, may be some American but not here” but anyway he is a great man and I

apologized later for being a lousy karate-ka :)

Funny, when I took Shotokan, my instructor and all his students had the cross over in the back when tying on their belts. He is associated w/Nishiyama Sensei, and I never heard a gripe about how they tied their belts. Me on the other hand was taught early on to not cross over in the back. So it is just a personal preference for me as it is for Shorinryu Sensei to cross his over. In my opinion, as I'm sure is yours....dosen't matter how the belt is tied, so long as it's tied :o :brow: :P :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

As long as the belt is tied around the waist and doesn't fall down, my instructor and our organisation don't mind how a student fastens their belt.

How I tie mine usually depends on how much time I have before I'm rushing into training...

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I'm not even sure what this cross-over in the back is...

I just make sure when I tie mine, the knot is firmly over the dan'tien/hara.

In Iaido, I have to tie it a certain way so that it stays tight after moving the saya around a bit.

But, since the whole belt thing is relatively new to karate anyway...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Sorry, but it drives me nuts to see the cross-over in the back. I know "It's not a fashion show" but to me, it looks sloppy. I guess it's just my personal preference. I was taught early in my MA training that the belt should look like "one" in the back, so it kind of stuck, I guess.

Laurie F