• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Old school traditional fighters vs today's MMA top guns

I think it depends on who ya put together. Mas Oyama vs. Tim Sylvia, now who would know? Styles have changed so much over the years, but remember, technique over strength anyday. Now as for my dream match, one of the budweiser frogs vs. the geiko lizard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the old school can kick the new MMA top fighter's butt. Because, back in the day (like pre 19 century), people learn martial art to survive, and they usually have to fight with anyone (no weight class) and fight to death (no ruled, and for surviving). Not to mention, people train maritial for the whole life, every day.

and because of the lack of venue, they were likely less conditioned. Not too mention that we have no clue how skilled their assailants were. Heck, in my days as a security guard, I had to fight for my life when an altercation ensued. that doesn't attest to how good/bad of a fighter I am. Not only that, but we don't have evidence of many of these death matches and such that these "old masters" fought in. Word of mouth is a funny thing... there's no telling how far out of proportion these stories may have been blown.

Like anything else, martial arts evolve and improve (hopefully). Today's MMA fighters have learned from the mistakes and risks that earlier fighters did, and get a jump start on training.

MMA fighters immediately already know what is most practical for a fight and what isnt, which old school fighters had to learn through trial and error. Also, thanks to technology, they also know who is the best in their respective field, whether it be striking, submissions, or takedowns and they can train under those fighters, even if its through the internet.

Old school fighters laid the foundation, which is the more difficult thing to do, but modern day fighters have taken that and expanded on it.