• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Old school traditional fighters vs today's MMA top guns

The difference between the "old" and the "new" is time, not the end result, not principals, and not the methods.

Also, what was "guarded" and "secret" back then, is now "common knowledge".

Thus, martial arts are NOT developing to faster more aggressive styles.

are you saying j.k.d is not a newly devoloped art and bruce didnt create it to be faster and more agressive in combat?

No-the large basis of his art-dare I say, was Ving Tsun.

i think that the martial training these days like submission fighting might have a mixture or orgin of other styles but when you train like that you might have used other styles but blended them into one more effective style. all new styles of fighting arts come from other arts but seeded out what work in ring or street or ring. are you saying that martial arts are not developing into fast more combat effective styles.

No, only the NAMES are changing

i can tell times are even changing my kung fu san soo class. we train to fight a street fight rather than another kung stylist back in the old days they didnt do this.

How do you know how was training in the old days?

so know are we not being more agressive cause street fighter uses agression to fight cause he has no training.

No, back then there was MORE aggression. Society back then was in turmoil and chaotic.

im not looking to prove you wrong just saying things have been changing for martial arts.

But what you are saying is that new martial arts are developing faster or stronger-essentially better than old

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes im saying martail arts are developing into new styles when ever you take little pieces of other arts and blend them in to a martial art its a new style maybe they have some simular movements but it is indeed diffrent when ever you train out side of you art or diffrently you are doing it diffrent from how it was taught there for you cant call it what it was but but what it is. ah nevermind can i ask you something what have you studied???

No, only the NAMES are changing

not only that traditional arts are being diluted when fewer and fewer people seek to inflate their own rank(ego) just by changing a few moves

instead of seeking the depth that is already in the various arts they studied :kaioken:

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

i have beaten karate fighters just because of there stances and foot work karate i think is very over rated your shouldnt be saying anything you have no idea what real combat is about. karate is a defense art not a offense not agressive enough but there are some good moves but over rated.

• 2 weeks later...

In a straight up grappling match Kyuzo Mifune (Pound for pound the greatest judoka of all time) would bust Rickson's *. Not in an MMA match though. In a grappling or an MMA match Masahiko Kimura (who in judo circles is regarded as the second best judoka of all time) would bust Rickson's *. As for Rickson fighting worked matches, that is something that people have suspected for along time. This stuff goes back to before the UFC even started. I don't belive it personally, BUT I will say that Rickson had a chance to silence all his doubters if he would have stepped up and faced Sakaruba after he pounded Royler, Renzo, Royce and Ryan. He didn't step up so it kind of gives the doubters ammo to throw at him. Not sayin' it's fair, but that's the perception.

As for strikers Mas Oyama would do extremly well as he is one of the only karate fighters to go to thailand and repeatedly deafeat thai boxers under thai rules. today's fighters don't train like Oyama's students did. Most karate stylists in the 60's and 70's trained extremly hardcore. I'm talking about full contact kicks to the knee, bare knuckle punches to the face and head, and full power knee strikes. One of the reason's I choose to train in judo back then was because I had visted a karate dojo and witnessed this stuff. A guy was trying to earn his blackbelt so he had to fight 5 blackbelts full contact with no protection for 5 minutes each with no break in between. He kicked his first opponent so hard in the leg that the guy's knee gave completely out...And then kept on going to the next match! After that I decided I never wanted to train in karate EVER! But in this modern era of law suits you will never get that kind of training, so I guess I would train ini the watered down karate of today :P

I'm only going to ask you once...

not only that traditional arts are being diluted when fewer and fewer people seek to inflate their own rank(ego) just by changing a few moves

instead of seeking the depth that is already in the various arts they studied :kaioken:

I like this. This is a going trend.

• 2 months later...

eccept for a select few the new fighters would beat the old school guys. but this is because most MMA fighters train much harder than the average traditional fighter today.

Fist visible Strike invisible

In a straight up grappling match Kyuzo Mifune (Pound for pound the greatest judoka of all time) would bust Rickson's *. Not in an MMA match though. In a grappling or an MMA match Masahiko Kimura (who in judo circles is regarded as the second best judoka of all time) would bust Rickson's *.

right...Rickson might not be the best takeodwn artist but I doubt either of those guys could avoid getting submitted by rickson in his prime.

and yes I know who they are and the type of athletes they were.