• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenpo 5 Swords - Help

opnek

I got 5 swords last night, and I know it will take some time, to get down pat, but the last foot movement in the technique is killing me. It feels all wrong.

right after the uppercut (or uppersword hand, depending how you learn it) there is a shuffle that guides you to the next block/chop sequence. That shuffle si throwing me off, Im always to far away with it, or too close, it doesnt "feel" right. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

-

There are no pure styles of karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or receives.

-

An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
...5 swords ...the last foot movement in the technique is killing me. It feels all wrong. right after the uppercut (or uppersword hand, depending how you learn it) there is a shuffle that guides you to the next block/chop sequence. That shuffle si throwing me off, Im always to far away with it, or too close, it doesnt "feel" right.

First, think of his likely autonomic reaction to the uppercut. He's likely to bend forward, at least a little. The purpose of that step is to get you out of the way so you can take advantage of this reaction. Your left is still up from the finger thrust to his eyes, checking his head as well as any strikes. It is a short move to the outward handsword to his mastoid, and then sliping to a crane of his neck. That step gets you out of the way as you crane him down, and sets you up for the stance change that gives power to the crane and makes this technique work smoothly.

The foot position for the step depends on how your system practices this technique. I believe Tracy's still does it as a rear twist, while most EPAK schools do it as a right forward bow with the step to 4:30. Go back to your basics and practice the stance your system calls for, and you'll be in good shape. You may have to make small adjustments due to body positioning, varriances in reaction or build of your opponent. But that will come in the What If and Formulation phases of learning the technique. Get it down in the Ideal Phase now as a step into a good stance.

Another thing that might help is to think about what else this stance does for you. A full twist, as in Tracy's, gives speed and flow, but has the drawback that if he bends too far forward and grabs, you are not in a stable stance to deal with it. But a forward bow with the left leg straight gives you max stability in the direction of his force.

Freedom isn't free!

I will try as you suggested. Invaluable info. Thanks again!

Cheers.

-

There are no pure styles of karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or receives.

-

An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.

I had the honor of a one and a half hour private lesson with Master Planas a few months ago. We broke down Long Form 4 technique by technique, and this is what I learned about that final move in Five Swords, straight from the highest rank in AK.

I don't know what rank you are, opnek, and Delta said he is unranked, so please take my advice into heavy consideration, though, as Delta said, it may vary by instructor and location.

Master Planas told me that the final step should not be a shuffle, nor a twist-unwind. Rather, slide your foot up-the-circle (from 6 o'clock up toward 3 o'clock) as you simultaneously load your right hand and use your left to turn their head toward you, exposing more vulnerable sections of their neck.

As soon as you have rotated enough to be at about a 45 degree angle from their body, drop your back heel into a wide kneel with the chop. The drop will guarantee that you

a) Have maximum gravitational marriage and rotation. And...

b) Assure that your shoulders continue to face your target.

Any questions, comments, feel free to ask or tell.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

parkerlineage, thanks for the info! I had not considered turning his head to enhance the target, but you are right- it is effective. Not only gives a deeper pocket (localized open triangle) to strike into, but relaxes those muscles as well. Pretty effective!

I'm going to have to play with that wide kneel some. Sounds like an interesting option.

By the way, good to have another AK poster here! Sounds like you have some experience as well! The Kenpo & Kempo people here are sort of a sub culture, but the rest of them put up with us.

Freedom isn't free!

Sounds like you have some experience as well!

I'm 16 and a half, and have been training since I was six with Professor Scott Halsey, a direct student of Ed Parker and Richard Planas. I would not claim to be the best student at my school, and definetly not the most devoted (I have far too many things going on to spend all my time at the dojo), but I certainly practice every day, and can defeat anybody I spar except Professor Halsey and a second degree black belt who was the Assistant Instructor when I started my training.

The Kenpo & Kempo people here are sort of a sub culture, but the rest of them put up with us.

You know, somehow, before I had even checked around on this site, I knew we would be a minority. We're too new of an art, I would say.

But take heart! For we have the Member of the Month on our side...hehe

Ed Parker

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I SUCK!!!!!

Just figure out what's supposed to be in quotes and what's not. I'm going to go commit a very painful version of hari-kari with my sai.

Ed Parker

Thanks a ton to both of you, your insight is HIGHLY appreciated.

Cheers.

-

-

Thanks a ton to both of you, your insight is HIGHLY appreciated.

Also keep in mind that you're instructor teaches a modified version of this. :) [For those watching at home, I train with opnek and recently learned 5 swords myself].

Mr. P taught it as as you're uppercutting, your left hand is brought back to your chest. Then after the uppercut, your right [punching] hand swings out to check their left hand, and your left hand now does a sword-hand to their collar bone as you do the shuffle/slide of your left foot back to 4:30, then your checking right-hand continues it's motion in a circle to come down on the side/base/back of the attacker's neck.

I believe the "book" version instead of doing the handsword to the collar-bone, goes behind the attackers neck [palm-out] and pulls their head down for the handsword [hammerfist?] to the base of the neck.

I'm not going to argue over which is better. I can see advantages to both.

As for getting the shuffle down, I too had a really hard time with it. It honestly just took me going over it repeatedly, every day before it finally became something I was comfortable with.

DT

PS. To those others listening. Mr. P [our instructor] used Kenpo in his 11 years on the police force. As such he has had real-world experience in what did and didn't work on the street, so he makes modifications to some of the techniques. My opinion is that some of the changes make sense and some don't to me, but I respect his experience enough to learn both ways and decide for myself which I am comfortable with.

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

I'm 16 and a half, and have been training since I was six with Professor Scott Halsey, a direct student of Ed Parker and Richard Planas. I would not claim to be the best student at my school, and definetly not the most devoted (I have far too many things going on to spend all my time at the dojo), but I certainly practice every day, and can defeat anybody I spar except Professor Halsey and a second degree black belt who was the Assistant Instructor when I started my training.

Well, you show an attitude of respect and a good understanding for 16. Stay with it, and never loose that attitude or the sense of awe in the art!

Also, you have some good instructors, as well as the sense to listen to them. Feel free to pass on anything they tell you! :D

Freedom isn't free!