• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello and Help

:-? Hey I am new to the fourm and wanted to say hello to everyone. I also had a question about picking the right martial art for me. Im a pretty big guy so I want to pick the right one. Thanks.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought."

Basho

"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill."

Sun Tsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

take hawian sumo

not sumo wrestling

the sumo wear you laern how to snap peoples spins.

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

First .....welcome :-)

Now....as far as what for you to study.....go to as many dojos as possible and either sit in on or watch as many different things as you can....then decide what suits you the best.

Let us know what you see in your "dojo travels" .....

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

: Im a pretty big guy so I want to pick the right one. Thanks.

Welcome to Karate Forums :D

I too am a big guy, 5'6 186 pounds.. However, when I returned to my Dojang in early April, I was 5'6 228 pounds. The style you choose depends on whether you are content with the weight you are and want to use it to your advantage, or whether you want to lose that weight.

Above that, however, just look around and see as many classes as you possibly can. You may find something that's perfect for you and you would never have thought of it before. I wanted to lose weight, but Tang Soo Do has always been the right style for me, and the weight loss just comes with the territory.

I wish you luck.

Tang Soo!

Passion transcends pain.

I'm going to have to agree with some of the others here. You need to get out there and check out as many schools as possible. While watching or participating in these schools be sure to watch the students of the schools. Observe how they act, how they perform overall and remember not one individual is alike keep that in mind while observing the students, but this will give you an idea of the training environment. Find a school and style that you will enjoy, and remember a good intructor will work with you and all techniques from basic to advance. Find a school that looks at you as an individual. Mixed Martial Arts might be something you want to check into because normally these programs are not as strict as far as you have to do it this way and this is the only way.

GOOD LUCK

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Thanks for everyones help and I will sit in on some classes to find the right style, I am looking for something thats uses striking and grappling, I was thinking about Jiu-Jitsu, I also sat in a few sessions of Ninjutsu.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought."

Basho

"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill."

Sun Tsu