• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Game Plan for Sparring/Fighting

Shorinryu Sensei wrote:

I only do open tournaments where any system may participate.

I've been meaning to ask you about that. What are the rules of competition for the "open tournament" you mention? What scores a point, what equipment do you wear, and what's the duration of a match?

What scores a point?

This is off the top of my head and isn't the correct order, but should be accurate.

1. Any hand/foot technique from the groin (it's a target) and above.

2. Light contact allowed, including the head, but the highe the rank, the more contact allowed. Must be a good technique, focused and have power behind it. In other words, no slop or "blind" techniques.

3. One point allowed/technique...no double points for head kicks.

4. Depending on the tournament, the time of the match is 2-3 minutes (usually 2) and the clock doesn't stop when a point is called. We like to keep it mioving as fast as possible, as there are normally only 3 rings, with 75-100 participants. We need to allow time to eat pizza and drink beer after the tournament! :D

5. Center ref can stop the clock if he/she deems it necessary, such as in an injury.

6. Sweeps are allowed at the ankle only, and must be followed up immediately with a technique to score.

7. Controlled takedowns allowed, but again, must be followed up immediately with a technique to score.

8. If you fall down, you can score (such as a kick to your opponents groin), or be scored upon, but if nothing happens within 3 seconds, ref stops the fight and the opponents square off again.

9. In the advent of a tie at the end of allotted time period, opponents square off again and first point wins.

10. No straight finger techniques ("chops" OK, but not straight on fingers extended)

11. Illegal targets are eyes, throat, neck, knees, back of head and spine. Kidneys are OK.

12. Divisions are usually (flexible) by age group, under one year/over one year experience, and black belt. If there are enough girls/women in a division, they have their own matches. if not, they can opt (and they always do) to compete with the boys/men. I've never seen a woman at one of our tournaments afraid to mix it up with the guys. Some will even ask not to fight other women, but rather to dive right in with the men. This is OK with us.

I probably missed something somewhere on these. We have a tournament on Oct. 16th in Great Falls and I should be getting a packet of rules and info soon in the mail. It's not posted on their website.

what equipment do you wear? Groin and mouth protection required, hand and foot pads. I don't think head gear is mandatory, but most are wearing it now days. Of course, a clean gi and belt.

Anything else you'd like to know, ask a specific question. If I don't know the answer, I'll email the tournament promoter and find out.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point kicks

How did you do with Ivan?

Did you stay or leave?

Thanks.

We evacuated to Natchitoches, LA. It's normally a 5 hour drive, but took us 14 hours with all the other refugees. How about you?

Kicks-Stayed Home

Shorinryu Sensei, could you further explain or describe you definition of blind tactics?

47MartialMan

Shorinryu Sensei, could you further explain or describe you definition of blind tactics?

My understanding of a blind technique is where you throw a strike while taking your eyes off the target. The only one I can think of now is doing a backfist, let's call it a reverse backfist. You're in a right back stance. YOu twist (rotate) your body counter clockwise and throw a right hand back fist.

That's a technique we practice in our drills and combinatiuons but is not allowed under WTF sparring rules.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

But in some of "our" methods, we purposely take "our eyes" of the target in order to fake, mislead, or not telepath.

"telepath" a technique? Whoa! That's way over my level. I'm happy just not to telegraph a move. :wink:

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

But in some of "our" methods, we purposely take "our eyes" of the target in order to fake, mislead, or not telepath.

"telepath" a technique? Whoa! That's way over my level. I'm happy just not to telegraph a move. :wink:

Yeah, I got you. We have tactic that you let the opponet "see" you pull your eyes away. Thats the lure, the fake. Then we will execute, for example, a half spin close range kick and strike

Yeah, I got you. We have tactic that you let the opponet "see" you pull your eyes away. Thats the lure, the fake. Then we will execute, for example, a half spin close range kick and strike

Hmmm? You'll have to show me. Next Wednesday?

47MartialMan, We should be there on the 29th. I'm teaching wood carving at a Boy Scout meeting tonight, the 22nd.